Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the VASSAL Academy dead??
03-24-2024, 01:33 AM,
Is the VASSAL Academy dead??
Just posting this again to see if some of the old guard that ran the Academy in the past can chime in.    Is this Academy dead at this stage?    If I wanted to run through the demo and/or Academy scenarios in a solo fashion, would there be anywhere to send the log files and get credit for those scenarios and/or training modules?
Tankodactyl, sagunto, Reconquista And 11 others like this post
03-25-2024, 10:45 PM,
RE: Is the VASSAL Academy dead??
The Academy has ridden into the sunset. There are a lot of us around who will work through the scenarios with you. There are also many experienced Vassal players who will work with you too. So don't despair.

There is no scholastic type of record submission anymore. The standard play submission will result in its own badge though.
[Image: PGUM.png]
It tells the world that you we serious about learning PG Vassal. Keep in mind that the scenarios used are intended to present a couple of concepts in the game, thus they are rather shallow and have little historical perspective. Isn't that how most training exercises are anyway?
chaco, Tambu, brad_newcomer And 12 others like this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
03-25-2024, 11:23 PM,
(03-25-2024, 10:45 PM)plloyd1010 Wrote: The Academy has ridden into the sunset. There are a lot of us around who will work through the scenarios with you. There are also many experienced Vassal players who will work with you too. So don't despair.

There is no scholastic type of record submission anymore. The standard play submission will result in its own badge though.
It tells the world that you we serious about learning PG Vassal. Keep in mind that the scenarios used are intended to present a couple of concepts in the game, thus they are rather shallow and have little historical perspective. Isn't that how most training exercises are anyway?

Can one play through these "Academy Demo" scenarios in a solo fashion at this stage once I get the hang of the VASSAL environment?   If I'm understanding your post above correctly, all I would need to do is play through the 6 scenarios and submit them like I have been submitting my other ratings and AAR's to receive the badge you have shown above.   

Correct?
Miguelibal, sagunto, Reconquista And 11 others like this post
03-26-2024, 05:40 AM,
Happy to play you through the PG Uber set online in VASSAL if you'd like.
Miguelibal, Sonora, brad_newcomer And 11 others like this post
03-26-2024, 06:49 AM,
(03-26-2024, 05:40 AM)treadasaurusrex Wrote: Happy to play you through the PG Uber set online in VASSAL if you'd like.

Thanks!   I just might take you up on this offer once I find the time to get VASSAL set up on my laptop and get it working properly.   Will let you know if I get to that stage and/or need help.    Again, thank you for the offer!
chaco, Sonora, Tankodactyl And 10 others like this post
03-26-2024, 10:32 AM,
(03-25-2024, 11:23 PM)brad_newcomer Wrote:
(03-25-2024, 10:45 PM)plloyd1010 Wrote: The Academy has ridden into the sunset. There are a lot of us around who will work through the scenarios with you. There are also many experienced Vassal players who will work with you too. So don't despair.

Can one play through these "Academy Demo" scenarios in a solo fashion at this stage once I get the hang of the VASSAL environment?   If I'm understanding your post above correctly, all I would need to do is play through the 6 scenarios and submit them like I have been submitting my other ratings and AAR's to receive the badge you have shown above.   

Correct?

Yes on both points.
sagunto, OldPueblo, Tankodactyl And 11 others like this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
03-30-2024, 07:57 AM,
Credit where credit is due - Peter Lloyd did great work developing the "curriculum" prior to launch. As time passed it became clear that the majority of people who needed the Academy's support and/or were interested VASSAL had matriculated, so to simplify management going forwards we quietly retired it.

Do please earn the badge, though. Like Peter said, it shows you've done your homework Smile
ACav, cochise75, PANISTA And 11 others like this post
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...