Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Different Quality Counters
01-24-2024, 02:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-24-2024, 02:53 PM by Tony M.)
RE: Different Quality Counters
I gave up on the PG series for years after buying the original PG and then Eastern Front. Why? I really did not like the maps. I only came back to the series because of Black Panthers. Great story, beautiful maps. I enjoy having it on my table.Eventually I will also buy Saipan--the maps are gorgeous.

To be honest, I think not liking a game because of the way the counters look, or the way the maps look, is as legitimate a reason as any other. I like the way counters feel, and a nice map enhances the story the game is telling me. Sometimes I like to just step back and look over the battlefield, from this direction or that direction.

And having a product on your table that your wife thinks is nice to look at and worth what you paid for it means something, believe me.

When I buy Saipan and eventually Leyte, those maps better look like SE Asia (my wife is Filipino).

Really, these games cost so much there is no excuse for inferior components. The technology is there to get it right.
goosebrown likes this post
01-25-2024, 03:43 AM,
It's really too bad that Saipan, Marianas and Leyte are such dogs to play, IMHO.

The maps are pretty, just very hard to differentiate the terrain.
joe_oppenheimer, Reconquista, Sonora And 12 others like this post
01-31-2024, 11:38 AM,
(01-25-2024, 03:43 AM)treadasaurusrex Wrote: It's really too bad that Saipan, Marianas and Leyte are such dogs to play, IMHO.

The maps are pretty, just very hard to differentiate the terrain.

Can you elaborate on why they are Dogs?
treadasaurusrex and Tambu like this post
"Don't let the dirt and rust hang you up, we like to give the impression that we are out of action badly in need of rest and reorganization"
01-31-2024, 11:40 AM,
(01-22-2024, 07:55 AM)treadasaurusrex Wrote: Hey Chuck,

An excellent choice for your new PG-HQ avatar icon! Go Cats!

Happy trails,

Felipe

Thanks, thought you and the Posse would appreciate the new avatar!
chaco, Tubac52, OldPueblo And 11 others like this post
"Don't let the dirt and rust hang you up, we like to give the impression that we are out of action badly in need of rest and reorganization"
01-31-2024, 11:58 AM,
Very bad maps for those of us with color vision limitations. Hopelessly unbalanced and unplaytested scenarios. No decent terrain key provided. The list is long . . .
Sonora, Tankodactyl, ACav And 11 others like this post
02-01-2024, 04:43 AM,
I had bit of a problem differentiating between the types of terrain (Especially Saipan), but it was nothing that couldn't be overcome with a bit of study and discrimination. On the other hand, Tread mentioned that he is a bit color challenged.... and that IS a problem. On the third hand, the games are not necessarily "dogs", only different battle/terrain types. (I rather like the differences, it keeps one interested!)

I had always thought that the "unbalanced" scenarios offered more of a challenge to the underdog. Un played scenarios... great! Gives me room to innovate and post errata (if necessary). Ain't NOTHIN' that can't be overcome.

After all, the PG "system" is still the best that I have discovered.

GG
02-01-2024, 06:24 AM,
You are most certainly correct about the glory of winning as the underdog in the many unbalanced, and quite challenging PG scenarios!

Changing history is always gratifying, especially when playing against a live & unpredictable opponent either face-to-face, or in Vassal online.
Miguelibal, CavDo, cochise75 And 11 others like this post
02-01-2024, 01:07 PM,
The other thing about the Sai Package is, of course, infantry in VERY difficult terrain 98% of the time. It is just long slogging battles. Good, but why does everyone want to play Normandy? Tanks, open fields, hedgerows, did I mention tanks? The Pacific was just not that way most of the time. In a way more like WWI with infantry going at each other.

I want the package too but the Naval series eat all my time so I think I am going to be there for a while.
Reconquista, treadasaurusrex, PANISTA And 10 others like this post

User Experience begins with You...
Always looking for people to play PzGdr, Napoleonic Games, and Great War at Sea
(the Vassal for GWAS Mediterranean specifically).
02-06-2024, 01:48 AM,
Wargames are like sexual partners, they come in all shapes, sizes, colors and genders.  There is something for just about everyone, the great thing is the choice is yours.
Sonora, CavDo, Miguelibal And 7 others like this post
02-06-2024, 12:56 PM,
(02-06-2024, 01:48 AM)Juiceman Wrote: Wargames are like sexual partners, they come in all shapes, sizes, colors and genders.  There is something for just about everyone, the great thing is the choice is yours.

OK I may be off wargames for a bit...
treadasaurusrex likes this post

User Experience begins with You...
Always looking for people to play PzGdr, Napoleonic Games, and Great War at Sea
(the Vassal for GWAS Mediterranean specifically).