Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to search for 1-map scenarios?
09-16-2023, 12:56 PM,
How to search for 1-map scenarios?
Right now I'm enjoying Elsenborn Ridge and Black Panthers. Because my table space is limited, my future PG purchases will be partly determined by how many 1-map scenarios a game has. Is there a simple way to search here for 1-map scenarios? I tried using the scenario search feature but the results were confusing.
treadasaurusrex, goosebrown, PANISTA And 1 others like this post
09-16-2023, 01:39 PM,
RE: How to search for 1-map scenarios?
(09-16-2023, 12:56 PM)Tony M Wrote: Right now I'm enjoying Elsenborn Ridge and Black Panthers. Because my table space is limited, my future PG purchases will be partly determined by how many 1-map scenarios a game has. Is there a simple way to search here for 1-map scenarios? I tried using the scenario search feature but the results were confusing.

Start using VASSAL. You can play anyone anywhere, you never have to clean up. No matter how many days it takes to play no cat will disturb your pieces. Just a really positive experience. 

That being said Airborne package is only one map. Germans v Americans on D-Day. Also there are a few in An Army At Dawn. Hope you find ones you like.
CavDo, PANISTA, treadasaurusrex And 4 others like this post

User Experience begins with You...
Always looking for people to play PzGdr, Napoleonic Games, and Great War at Sea
(the Vassal for GWAS Mediterranean specifically).
09-17-2023, 02:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-17-2023, 02:19 AM by rerathbun.)
If you scroll to the bottom of the search page, you can set the maximum map size under "Map Footprint Range."

If you set the maximum at 17 inches by 17 inches, you will get results for all the one-map scenarios. The search results will be sorted by game title, but you can re-sort them by number of counters, number of turns, etc., by clicking on the arrows in the column headers.  BTW, there are 784 one-map scenarios in all of PG (so far).

For two-map scenarios, set the maximum at 22 by 22 inches. At the very bottom of the search page, under "Please select your desired results columns," you can select "Footprint IN" (or CM) to see which are one-map and which are two-map.
joe_oppenheimer, cjsiam, Tony M And 2 others like this post
09-17-2023, 07:52 AM,
When I set the maximum footprint to 17 inches I get the message "Sorry. No scenarios met all of your requirements." That is the message I got before. 

Thank you anyway for trying to help me. I will try different things to see what happens.
09-17-2023, 09:21 AM,
Are you sure you put the limits in the right place?

I did that, with no other parameters. I got 784 scenarios, including 21 from Black Panthers and Elsenborn Ridge.
    Black Panthers: 01. First Contact
    Black Panthers: 07. Koecking Ridge
    Black Panthers: 11. Disaster at Honskirch
    Black Panthers: 12. Champagne Breakfast
    Black Panthers: 14. Wooden Walls
    Black Panthers: 19. The Last Bridgehead
    Black Panthers: 20. First Brewed
    Black Panthers: 23. Delay at Kamperbrűck
    Elsenborn Ridge: 01. Autumn Mist
    Elsenborn Ridge: 06. Twin Villages: The First Night
    Elsenborn Ridge: 07. Twin Villages: Valor and Sacrifice
    Elsenborn Ridge: 08. Twin Villages: Panzer Graveyard
    Elsenborn Ridge: 09. St. Vith: First Probe
    Elsenborn Ridge: 12. Twin Villages: Finale
    Elsenborn Ridge: 13. Crossroads: We Fight and Die Here
    Elsenborn Ridge: 16. Crossroads: Hunting Panthers
    Elsenborn Ridge: 17. Crossroads: Panzer Attack
    Elsenborn Ridge: 20. Night of the Long Knives
    Elsenborn Ridge: 21. Crossroads: The Last Gasp
    Elsenborn Ridge: 29. The Small Solution
    Elsenborn Ridge: 31. The Sad Sack Affair
Tony M, PANISTA, CavDo And 3 others like this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
09-17-2023, 11:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-17-2023, 11:10 AM by Michael Murphy.)
When I tested this out I started by placing the 17 (inches) in the upper line, marked MINIMUM. I then entered the 17 on the lower line marked MAXIMUM. The tricky part is to use the minimums and maximums in vertical boxes - at least for a one map scenario. When I did it that way, I got hundreds of scenarios in response.

EDIT: Since the maps are 11" x 17" you might want to try different size settings as an experiment. I'm fairly certain that there are a few scenarios that actually use only a portion of the map.
Peace Michael
treadasaurusrex and Tony M like this post
09-18-2023, 07:34 AM,
I must have been doing something wrong. I re-read everything that was posted here, and then tried the scenario search again, and it worked. Thanks again, everyone!
treadasaurusrex, joe_oppenheimer, cjsiam And 2 others like this post
03-30-2024, 08:02 AM,
(09-17-2023, 11:04 AM)Michael Murphy Wrote: Since the maps are 11" x 17" you might want to try different size settings as an experiment. I'm fairly certain that there are a few scenarios that actually use only a portion of the map.

I appreciate you offering support to a fellow member, but this bit is incorrect. We log all scenario data in GMUs - geomorphic map units. A scenario that takes place in only 2 hexes would still be a 1 mapper in the search tool.

If you're only looking for one map scenarios, there's no reason to include a minimum dimension. Just put 17 in both directions. The minimum dimension is to toss out map layouts smaller than what you want if you're looking for 2 maps or more.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...