Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
78th Sturm Div extension
08-05-2023, 03:26 AM,
78th Sturm Div extension
Someday, I hope to knockout Stürm Division extension. As with other unit extensions, I intend to fill out the supporting counters, as well as what was on the countersheet. Going through the scenarios, I have a list of pieces and their level of consideration.

Already there:
75mm AT
81mm MTR
STM

Should add:
20mm AA (Would have been part of the 293rd Flak Batt. No mention of heavy or light, hence consternation about 88mm's.)
75mm IG
ENG
Goliath (Notes about 178th Eng Batt. having 1 company equipped with these.)
HMG
SK9
SKl0/4
StuG IIIg
Truck
16 & 24 OBA

Could but, maybe not:
88mm AA (Not sure if the Luftwaffe still controls the heavy AA guns.)
Marder III (Might be part of the 654th Panzerjäger Battalion, but no mention of vehicle in narratives. Seems to be towed unit.)
Brummbar (189th Sturmgeschütz Batt articles only mention StuG III's for equipment. Also Brummbars at Kursk seem to have been assigned IV/656th Panzerjäger Brg, which the 654th Panzerjäger Battalion morphed into.)

Definitely not:
Elefant (Almost certainly part of the 654th Panzerjäger Battalion.)

What did I miss? What shouldn't I add. Any other thoughts?
Juiceman likes this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
08-06-2023, 05:12 AM,
RE: 78th Sturm Div extension
I think that you should add them all.
sagunto, Tubac52, cochise75 And 11 others like this post
08-15-2023, 12:49 PM,
78th Sturm Div extension
Here is how it falls out.

From the countersheet:
Sturmzug
75mm Anti-tank
81mm Mortar

Adding:
20mm Antiaircraft Gun (Light flak column of the 293rd Flak Batt. Essentially a double firing battery on the TO&E.)
88mm Antiaircraft Gun (3 heavy batteries in the 293rd Flak Batt.)
75mm Infantry Gun
Engineer Platoon
Goliath (Notes about 178th Eng Batt. having 1 company equipped with these.)
Heavy Machine-gun
SdKfz 7 (standard prime mover for the 88mm
SdKfz 9
SdKfz 10/4
StuG IIIg
Truck
16 & 24 OBA

Not adding:
Marder III (Seems be part in the 654th Panzerjäger Battalion.)
Brummbar (Brummbars at Kursk seem to have been assigned IV/656th Panzerjäger Brg, which the 654th Panzerjäger Battalion morphed into.)
Elefant (Definitely part of the 654th Panzerjäger Battalion.)

That, and scenarios for 4 new games in the library, and the Korean War extensions, and probably 2 other things I have forgotten.
Tambu, Miguelibal, cochise75 And 7 others like this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
08-16-2023, 02:51 PM,
(08-15-2023, 12:49 PM)plloyd1010 Wrote: >>Here is how it falls out.<<

You're ON FRICKEN VACATION RIGHT!?!?!?

START RECREATING

Leave the Panzers for when you get back... just my opinion of course
treadasaurusrex likes this post

User Experience begins with You...
Always looking for people to play PzGdr, Napoleonic Games, and Great War at Sea
(the Vassal for GWAS Mediterranean specifically).
08-16-2023, 04:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-16-2023, 04:36 PM by plloyd1010.)
I just work on it when the others go shopping, or like on the flight to Bali. Down time like that.

Hanging around a shopping center before dinner on the beach. Now time for a couple more images and a couple beers.
treadasaurusrex and goosebrown like this post
08-17-2023, 01:23 AM,
(08-16-2023, 04:08 PM)plloyd1010 Wrote: I just work on it when the others go shopping, or like on the flight to Bali. Down time like that.

Hanging around a shopping center before dinner on the beach. Now time for a couple more images and a couple beers.

Well, a few images on a beach in Bali with drinks... I *guess* that sounds like recreation...

User Experience begins with You...
Always looking for people to play PzGdr, Napoleonic Games, and Great War at Sea
(the Vassal for GWAS Mediterranean specifically).
08-17-2023, 12:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-17-2023, 01:08 PM by plloyd1010.)
(08-17-2023, 01:23 AM)goosebrown Wrote: Well, a few images on a beach in Bali with drinks... I *guess* that sounds like recreation...
Rats, rainy today, no beach. Gotta go to the mountains. Sad
Beer isn't as good there. Such a messed up vacation. Cool

When I finish the images, I'll make a countersheet for people who don't like trees.
goosebrown likes this post
08-29-2023, 12:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-29-2023, 09:23 PM by plloyd1010.)
It is done
The extension is up and the game package has been defined. I added 50mm AT guns to to the extension. I put them in as a play balance option, not from anything I read. I am pretty sure the division didn't have any as it had been recently equipped and the 75mm was the designated AT gun of the time.

No notes or catalog in the first version of the extension. They will be in the September update.

For some completely pointless data: There are 380 Vassal items that can be downloaded. 363 of which are extensions, which support 136 games (including one I made as a tribute project). There are also 6 standalone game extensions and mentoring extension, for learning/teaching PG & Vassal fundamentals. (Now my cheeks are tired from blowing my own horn.) Blush
chaco, ACav, Tambu And 5 others like this post