Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Operational Games
07-22-2023, 12:02 PM,
Operational Games
Hi all, just wondering what everyone here likes in terms of operational scale games?  I have Compass Games' reprint of The Russian Campaign on a card table in my living room right now.  I play a turn here and there when I'm passing through or need a break from my many screens.  Before that I played Revolution's Poland Defiant which I thought was quite good and helped me learn a lot about that invasion.
OldPueblo, Sonora, CavDo And 4 others like this post
07-22-2023, 01:45 PM,
RE: Operational Games
An excellent way to start thinking about larger scale stuff....spending too much time in the tactical, we forget that wars are
often (if not always) lost in logistics and strategic space....

It reinforces the appeal of a Campaign type game for me where actions at a high level are reflected tactically...

I'm looking for suggestions my self at this point... Particularly interested in the Brody-Dubno June/July 41 area...think lots important happened there...
treadasaurusrex and cochise75 like this post
07-23-2023, 08:43 AM,
RE: Operational Games
I had always been attracted to wargames with talmudic, detailed rules like ASL, but having played a few older operational scale games, I’ve been surprised by how nuanced they can be, even elegant. These days with my work schedule I really appreciate a lighter rules set. I feel like PG is just right for tactical. I think TRC is only about 8 pages, but many articles have been written about the strategy. Much like chess that way, simple game, tough to master.
treadasaurusrex, PANISTA, goosebrown And 7 others like this post