Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making DYO components - Supplies
09-09-2012, 12:04 AM,
Making DYO components - Supplies
Okay, with so many 'downloadable' bits for Panzer Grenadier I have after all these years decided to take the plung and have a go at this.

I liked these two articles on making counters but what are some of the tools, materials and supplies you all use?

Links to making counters:

From Private Wars

Making them AP web site
09-09-2012, 01:52 AM,
RE: Making DYO components - Supplies
(09-09-2012, 12:04 AM)zovs Wrote: Okay, with so many 'downloadable' bits for Panzer Grenadier I have after all these years decided to take the plung and have a go at this.

I liked these two articles on making counters but what are some of the tools, materials and supplies you all use?

Links to making counters:

From Private Wars

Making them AP web site

It was posted already under: http://www.pg-hq.com/comms/showthread.php?tid=195

Or titled: DYI Counters
09-09-2012, 04:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-09-2012, 04:47 AM by plloyd1010.)
A very important concept, make some guides out side of the counter line and remove the counter lines from one side. It clears up a lot of alignment errors. I'll attach the guides I use for overlays. Most image or PDF editors will work. I use Foxit PDF editor.

Supplies:
  1. Photo paper, I use matte photo paper by Printworks @ Walmart $12
  2. Manilla folders or light paperboard
  3. Rubber cement or very thin contact cement The rubber cement can be a little thin. You might want some thinner too.
  4. Clear spray shellack. I prefer this to the clear acrylic.
Tools:
  1. Rulers (thin metal or hi grade polycarb), 6" and 12 or 15"
  2. X-acto knife, #11 blade (easiest one to find)
  3. Rotary cutter (such as for scrap booking)
  4. Cutting mat I like the green ones by Olfa.
  5. Good quality printer. I use an inkjet printer because toner sometimes discolors with spray coatings. Toner also scratches quite easily.
Here is my post on my notes for making counters.
Good luck! Let us know.

Attached Files
.pdf   Back guide 8-7.pdf (Size: 997 bytes / Downloads: 35)
.pdf   Front guide 8-7.pdf (Size: 1.06 KB / Downloads: 31)
.pdf   Front-Back guide 8-8.pdf (Size: 998 bytes / Downloads: 33)
09-09-2012, 12:57 PM,
plloyd1010,

Many many thanks for this posting and fine details.
09-10-2012, 11:10 PM,
(09-09-2012, 04:19 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: [*]Photo paper, I use matte photo paper by Printworks @ Walmart $12

Peter - quick question on this one: Why not use glossy paper? I tried assembling the Valor and Victory "starter" way back when with glossy photo paper and it looked nice - the colors seem to jump out more. Just curious.

I have also used Avery full page labels but the color results on those were dull. If they made a semi-gloss or "photo" label sheets it may look better.
09-10-2012, 11:44 PM,
I lean toward the matte & semi-gloss because the glossy prints didn't hold up up under use. The color slowly rubbed off, smeared, and stained my fingers. If you found a good glossy with good fixing, let me know. I've tried Kodak & HP.

I can imagine the Avery label paper doing just as you say. I've tried basic high quality, bright paper, similar to the Avery labels. The result was something between speckling and blurry.
09-11-2012, 01:59 AM,
You can seal the colors if you laminate the counter sheet.

It will add about $1 to the cost per counter sheet. The counters will be harder to cut but it should not be a problem if you tale your time. The counters will reflect direct light and that can be an annoyance depending on your light source.

I have not had any problem with scratches. I started building (non-PG) games 3-4 years ago and I have played some of them a dozen times.

I also use Krylon as a sealer, primarily for maps. I may switch to it entirely once my stash of laminating sheets runs out.
09-11-2012, 07:16 AM,
I also like the glossy photo paper!

Below are my comments from a while ago, when I use to make my own counters:

When I use to make counters this is how I did mine: first I copy them from the web-site on to photo paper, then I glue both front and back sides of the counters to a 110 lbs card stock copy paper, with a Permanent Glue Stick by Avery, then I glue both backsides of the card stock together, clip the counters and there you go. I have started to get better with it each time I do it.

The finished counter then consist of a photo paper front, two card stock middles, a photo paper back and all together they are just about the same size as a normal counter.

I buy all three materials; photo paper, card stock paper & glue from any local gocery store. So far, all my counters have held up, the oldest being about three years old. I think clipping the corners at the end of the process really helps to seal them together.

I don't plan on doing anymore homemade counters however. The last ones I did were for my own game design Nihon Silk. I am always happy with the results but just not the time it takes to do them.