Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ungentlemanly AAR Commentaries
07-15-2023, 11:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-15-2023, 11:06 AM by Tubac52.)
Ungentlemanly AAR Commentaries
I just read a rude shared play AAR report (AfKo048, posted July 10th). This is a rare, but unpleasant example of less than respectful commentary aimed at other Vassal players.

Not trying to lecture that Vassal playing faithful, but I would like to take this opportunity to remind those that share their observations about scenarios played, that we share a semi-public blog forum that is not an appropriate place to bash opponents in disrespectful language.
Tankodactyl, OldPueblo, PANISTA And 9 others like this post
07-15-2023, 11:56 AM,
RE: Ungentlemanly AAR Commentaries
(07-15-2023, 11:02 AM)Tubac52 Wrote: I just read a rude shared play AAR report (AfKo048, posted July 10th). This is a rare, but unpleasant example of less than respectful commentary aimed at other Vassal players.

Not trying to lecture that Vassal playing faithful, but I would like to take this opportunity to remind those that share their observations about scenarios played, that we share a semi-public blog forum that is not an appropriate place to bash opponents in disrespectful language.

I could be wrong, but after reading both AAR's I think some of that was tongue in cheek and not intended to be disrespectful.
cjsiam, triangular_cube, sagunto And 1 others like this post
07-15-2023, 12:07 PM,
Personally,
I think this was a clever ploy to get us all to read the detailed AAR...
Tread--that's a long paragraph....

These two players are long playing opponents of many games...
And knowing at least one of them a bit, don't think anything said is more then "elbow to ribs" game banter....

So...fear not, lines have not been crossed, abuse was not dispensed, hackles should not rise...
'twas just the lads having a final shot at each other over a clearly one sided affair....

What is more interesting----Why did the scenario go wrong?
I think there are morale or planning priorities (Italians way broken, or should break easier---Italian command would order 
   retreats when opposed?) other things that impacted real life scenario---that are not reflected 
  Our "God-like" visibility of everything going on--the chaos in the actual retreating Italians at that point...
Hard to reflect the "real world" situation and responses when so much is known to us...

Just another reason to check out Peter's Double-blind (for the brave among you.....)

Carry on.
Col. Sonichu and Tankodactyl like this post
07-21-2023, 05:11 AM,
(07-15-2023, 12:07 PM)cjsiam Wrote: Personally,

And knowing at least one of them a bit, don't think anything said is more then "elbow to ribs" game banter....

So...fear not, lines have not been crossed, abuse was not dispensed, hackles should not rise...
'twas just the lads having a final shot at each other over a clearly one sided affair....

I think there are morale or planning priorities (Italians way broken, or should break easier---Italian command would order 
   retreats when opposed?) other things that impacted real life scenario---that are not reflected 
  Our "God-like" visibility of everything going on--the chaos in the actual retreating Italians at that point...
Hard to reflect the "real world" situation and responses when so much is known to us...

Just another reason to check out Peter's Double-blind (for the brave among you.....)

Carry on.
Sorry, but calling a decorated veteran a "coward" who "pleads for a draw" in a kid's game on a semi-public blog is majorly disrespectful. What's said in game banter offline is fair in love and war. Manners are welcome, denigrating comment are not. Disrespectful, and tongue in cheek banter may certainly be tossed around in private, but not in public. Tubac52 is only calling for respectful, thoughtful and gentlemanly behavior in public.
sagunto, CavDo, Sonora And 9 others like this post
07-21-2023, 04:34 PM,
(07-21-2023, 05:11 AM)Tambu Wrote:
(07-15-2023, 12:07 PM)cjsiam Wrote: Personally,

Carry on.
Sorry, but calling a decorated veteran a "coward" who "pleads for a draw" in a kid's game on a semi-public blog is majorly disrespectful. What's said in game banter offline is fair in love and war. Manners are welcome, denigrating comment are not. Disrespectful, and tongue in cheek banter may certainly be tossed around in private, but not in public. Tubac52 is only calling for respectful, thoughtful and gentlemanly behavior in public.

We will agree to disagree about both intent and context regarding this. (of course, you have a choice about that...)
You are of course welcome to your opinion.....
Knowing them, I seriously doubt either of the participants took the level of umbridge you're expressing about these comments.
As they did not....well....

Should you have a need to call out transgressions in the future, perhaps a note directly to the offender might be more appropo....