Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opportunity
06-20-2023, 01:19 AM,
Opportunity
Opportunity Fire may be used against fleeing units, that’s a fact in the rules. 
Now, suppose a unit exits an Assault hex (it’s a Move action) and reach a hex adjacent to the original Assault hex. Is that unit vulnerable to Opportunity Fire in that hex ?
PANISTA, Tubac52, cochise75 like this post
06-20-2023, 02:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-20-2023, 02:49 AM by Grognard Gunny.)
RE: Opportunity
The way I understand it; Opportunity fire can be used to fire on any unit that is NOT in an assault hex. In addition, if the unit(s) is the last one out of the assault hex, gets a "free shot" on the way out of the assault hex from the enemy remaining in the assault hex. If the unit is retreating as you described.... Ke sera, sera! (Although, under the circumstances you state, would it not be "regular" fire?)

GG
06-20-2023, 04:57 AM,
If you move a unit, and you're in enemy sight and range, you may be fired on with opportunity fire.
treadasaurusrex, sagunto, PANISTA And 8 others like this post
06-20-2023, 08:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-20-2023, 08:58 AM by Grognard Gunny.)
Note; I always liked the "parting shot" given retreating units from an assault hex. I kind of look at it as a "kick in the butt", as you go!

GG
Tubac52, PANISTA, treadasaurusrex And 5 others like this post
06-20-2023, 09:16 AM,
Yep, that Parthian shot when completely evacuating an assault hex is often deadly!
Sonora, Tambu, Tubac52 And 8 others like this post
06-20-2023, 08:22 PM,
Leonard-
If the moving player used an move activation to move one of the units in an Assault hex
TO a neighboring hex(which was not an Assault hex...)
---that is a movement action, if in sight/range of enemy units--it is subject to Opportunity fire.

And as per the 13.0 section on Opportunity Fire--with Terrain of the hex Entered.

These comments about last unit out of hex don't affect any of this....
06-21-2023, 12:17 AM,
Yes, I agree: Opportunity Fire is possible in that case too. However, I have to admit that I had never thought of it before…
Also note that an unactivated enemy unit in the assault hex would get first a free shot to the exiting unit and then could use Opportunity fire directed at the exit hex (if no rearguard in the Assault). Phew !
OldPueblo likes this post
06-22-2023, 08:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-22-2023, 08:22 PM by cjsiam.)
(06-21-2023, 12:17 AM)leonard Wrote: Yes, I agree: Opportunity Fire is possible in that case too. However, I have to admit that I had never thought of it before…
Also note that an unactivated enemy unit in the assault hex would get first a free shot to the exiting unit and then could use Opportunity fire directed at the exit hex (if no rearguard in the Assault). Phew !

He'd only get the free shot if that was the last unit in the assault hex....if there was any unit remaining--including a demoralized unit--there
  would not be the free shot as you exit.
but, in the case IT IS the last enemy unit in the hex, you're right---he'd get the "Free shot" on ASSAULT, and then get an Opp Fire with the move in adjacent
 hex (that's as far as he could go...)....

And that would be better then waiting to shot DF as the unit would be moving -1col, as well as adjacent....messy messy

Pulling out of Assaults is very painful.....

OH---IT's WORSE....
When you depart the hex entirely---EVEN IF the enemy has a moved/Fired (activated) marker---THEY STILL GET THE FREE SHOT!! 12.12....
So as long as there are ANY enemy units(moved/fired or not) left if the Assault hex, and you remove the last unit--ALL YOUR UNITS THAT LEFT THAT ACTIVATION are hit with
the Free shot....

So---this could be an issue---in that if there are like 3 of your inf in the hex, and you first move two out during a single activation
---if you start to move the 3rd out in that same activation, then they are ALL ARE SUBJECT to the free shot from the enemy, regardless 
of activation status!!!

So...best do it over two activations...getting two out for free....(no free shot)
devil take the hindmost....poor sob...he comes out on his own in a later activation.....(or with FOW, maybe not....)

And the free shot always applies, Activated or not!

Like I said.....Leaving Assaults really sucks