Poll: How should formations with multiple historical instances be cataloged?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Like the linage idea.
80.00%
8 80.00%
Want separate entries for each incarnation.
20.00%
2 20.00%
I have a better idea.
0%
0 0%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soviet formation philosophy.
09-08-2012, 03:51 AM,
RE: Soviet formation philosophy.
(09-08-2012, 03:14 AM)Shad Wrote:
(09-08-2012, 02:37 AM)campsawyer Wrote:
(09-08-2012, 12:26 AM)Shad Wrote: You're the searcher, you tell me! What would you expect to see from a UI perspective that would make sense?

One your screen shot, I would like to see a table at the bottom listing all the scenarios for that formation either allowing a custom sort or sort by date of the scenario. Most important piece for me will be able follow them through a campaign of all of their battles. Everything else is nice but is not as important.

I would also suggest the bio at the top and the table of lineage to the right of that. Maybe any patch or logo up by their name.

The scenario table is already in place, just not on the view provided in the attachment. All subordinate formation appearances are included, so viewing Heer will show scenario appearances for everything under Heer. We typically don't included dates in the scenario tables but if that's a critical factor for formations I can add it.

Who do you suggest will write 2,500+ bios? In the 2+ years of PG-HQ we have had exactly one nation history voluntary submission. Same with patches and logos. That sort of work is certainly never going to be on my to-do list. It's a nice thought but I don't envision anyone stepping up and making that happening. Peter estimates months of formation curation remaining just to get a baseline dataset for all nations.

To the first part, great that is what I am looking for. To be able to see a list of all the scenarios for the formation.

To the second part, this was the meaning behind my first post on the thread. I could see this being a monster to manage by doing the lineage. But Peter said he had notes and he was plugging through them so I figured that he had a plan to take all the formations bios with his notes.

To be honest, I am probably not going to be concerned about the legacy of all units in PG. I would pick some of the more famous or infamous and work on those. Example, would be to see all of the Panzer Lehr scenarios both from the new supplement and from BotB and others together, than than looking at the 2nd incarnation of the 25th Soviet Rifle Division and its scenarios.
09-08-2012, 04:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-08-2012, 04:08 AM by plloyd1010.)
The notes I've been putting in most have to do with "why this is weird", "not a real unit, but really seems to be...", stuff like that.

Progress so far:

This is after about a month. I took a few days and got most of the easy ones.
09-08-2012, 04:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-08-2012, 04:14 AM by Shad.)
(@Alan) I think we've already got your basic needs covered, then.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
09-08-2012, 04:42 AM,
(09-08-2012, 04:13 AM)Shad Wrote: (@Alan) I think we've already got your basic needs covered, then.

Cool
09-12-2012, 09:02 PM,
Alrighty then,
with a vote of 8 to 2 the lineage side wins. I'll try to go that way when problems arise. Don't be too surprised at weird results.