Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New game
05-12-2023, 03:01 AM,
New game
I have always thought that the Market Garden campaign would have been a shoe in for PG. There exists a myriad of scenarios in the campaign that would lend itself well to the PG set up of battle and well as hinge together well in the "story telling" mode that PG ascribes to. It would be a masterpiece!

GG
05-12-2023, 05:50 PM,
RE: New game
To Dream....
Aye.....There's the rub....

I'm waiting for the Gates of Leningrad which was paid for in September 2019.....
So...
Kinda like to see all new development stop until all the old promises are either kept or repaid (with interest given how
  they've been so disregarded...Maybe lifetime Gold Club--would incentivise buying--of which there is little incentive to do with money
  outstanding, and product wanting....)
But, hey, that's just me and my simplistic understanding of how commerce is supposed to work......
joe_oppenheimer and Tambu like this post
05-12-2023, 05:55 PM,
On a less downer note....

No reason you can't construct a game yourself---
Create a scenario thread....and create some maps (do the best you can)
and I'm sure there would be VASSAL guys ready to "HAVE AT YOU SIR!"

Look at the work of Andrew Rolph in his Barbarossa "Kicking in the Door", or Rostov "The Last Disaster"
They have a great campaign map technique and probably you could play Solitare (as his games are).....
Go to wargamevault.com .... Good stuff

cjSmile
05-12-2023, 10:33 PM,
(05-12-2023, 05:55 PM)cjsiam Wrote: On a less downer note....

No reason you can't construct a game yourself---
Create a scenario thread....and create some maps (do the best you can)
and I'm sure there would be VASSAL guys ready to "HAVE AT YOU SIR!"

Look at the work of Andrew Rolph in his Barbarossa "Kicking in the Door", or Rostov "The Last Disaster"
They have a great campaign map technique and probably you could play Solitare (as his games are).....
Go to wargamevault.com .... Good stuff

cjSmile

Come on Craig... You know that these guys are far more interested in conforming to get rank advancement than saying, "Here's an idea. Look what we did." Guderian's Folly being a good example of that.

To you list of Kicking in the Door and The Last Disaster, I would add the Command Decision campaigns, one of which is Market-Garden.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
05-13-2023, 03:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-13-2023, 06:18 AM by Grognard Gunny.)
Now, Gentlemen, I have done many a "design motifs" in my time. In fact, I happen to have a whole folder of scenarios for my previous "game of choice". Unfortunately, I would estimate that to do a proper design of Market Garden would take the better part of a year. A year that would take away from my remaining time on this earth. I've gotten to that point in my life where I must budget my time to my needs and wants. Wherein it would be "nice" to have a game design under my belt.... I have already done that.

Sorry, just can't commit the time.

GG
05-13-2023, 11:28 AM,
Well...Gunny, it's like Scouts....it's all about the badges....see actually
in human nature "We Do need the stinkin' Baadgeeess..."

Just trying to tempt you into Vassal...allow the freedom of setting up games, huge complex games, running many games at once if you wish, 
opponents 1/2way round the world, help fill the time....

I'm there myself Smile
05-14-2023, 07:15 AM,
OK, you started it. I am thinking "aloud" of possible scenarios and maps for "Market Garden". (It will need another name, M-G has been done!) I'll keep you posted.

GG_
05-14-2023, 01:39 PM,
How about A Bridge to Far? Or Hell's Highway? Or, my personal favorite, Missed By That Much..!
cjsiam likes this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
05-14-2023, 09:48 PM,
I like the latter.  Monty made the most of it though. (I believe those other two have already been done also.)

Maps are beginning to be a bit of a problem. I'm thinking at least eight would be needed to do justice to the battle. 

GG
05-14-2023, 10:04 PM,
I propose "Who Thought This Was a Good Idea?"
cjsiam, treadasaurusrex, Schoenwulf like this post
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...