Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Rules] Limbered Mortars
04-14-2023, 06:01 AM,
Limbered Mortars
Is a limbered mortar considered an Artillery/Mortar target?  My thoughts are that it should not be.  Rationale:  A limbered mortar has its equipment spread throughout the platoon and would not provide the target array of a mortar platoon unlimbered in a firing position.  I think that it would actually array more as an infantry platoon.

Thanks
Daedalus
Tambu, CavDo, treadasaurusrex And 3 others like this post
04-14-2023, 01:36 PM,
RE: Limbered Mortars
I misread the question. ANYTHING is considered an artillery target! I don't see where the problem is.  Perhaps a little more explanation is in order?

GG
04-14-2023, 10:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-14-2023, 10:56 PM by daedalus.)
Ooops.  What I meant to say was does direct fire or bombardment fire receive column shifts for firing at a limbered mortar as if it was a mortar/artillery unit.  On the direct fire and bombardment table there are column shifts when engaging mortars and or artillery.  
So my question relates to limbered mortars.  Do units firing at limbered mortars receive the column shifts?
Sonora, Reconquista, Tankodactyl And 4 others like this post
04-14-2023, 11:18 PM,
This question should probably start with why mortars have a +1 modifier against them in the first place. I contention would be it is because of carrying around boxes of stuff that goes BOOM, and equipment that is relatively fragile. Once the rational is established (whether mine or another), the next question becomes: What changes when the mortar is limbered?

For me not much changes with being limbered. The ammunition boxes are just as subject to ignition and detention, at this point the one or 2 boxes that were open are now closed, more boxes are being carried. The tube is just as vulnerable to distortion and damage. The tripod might be a little safer because it is not support the tube in a close explosion. Since I don't see any real changes to vulnerability, the +1 modifier should still apply.
joe_oppenheimer, triangular_cube, daedalus like this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
04-15-2023, 12:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-15-2023, 12:13 AM by daedalus.)
Thanks Peter.  I guess I was getting too far down in the weeds.  I was thinking that a limbered mortar platoon would occupy a much bigger footprint when moving.  It would be spread out over the hex and the individual pieces of equipment and ammo would be far more dispersed.  A mortar platoon in battery usually only takes up, maybe, 50 meters by 10 meters for the guns.  A rather tight and condensed target.

Given the level of the game, I should leave well enough alone.

Thanks again for your reply
Daedalus
Reconquista, Tankodactyl, Sonora And 4 others like this post
04-15-2023, 04:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-15-2023, 04:58 AM by Grognard Gunny.)
...another eloquent explanation by our resident PG expert. Much better than I.

GG
04-15-2023, 07:18 AM,
(04-15-2023, 12:13 AM)daedalus Wrote: Thanks Peter.  I guess I was getting too far down in the weeds.  I was thinking that a limbered mortar platoon would occupy a much bigger footprint when moving.  It would be spread out over the hex and the individual pieces of equipment and ammo would be far more dispersed.  A mortar platoon in battery usually only takes up, maybe, 50 meters by 10 meters for the guns.  A rather tight and condensed target.

Given the level of the game, I should leave well enough alone.

Thanks again for your reply
Daedalus
Here again, realism is trumped by a PG rule.

For the record, a leg infantry mortar platoon is a disbursed formation when on the move, carrying their tubes, plotting equipment radios & ammunition. Daedalus is correct, they are a significantly less dense personnel target to hit with artillery. No matter, the rule stands as Peter has indicated.

Good thread discussion, guys!
sagunto, Miguelibal, daedalus And 11 others like this post
04-16-2023, 01:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-16-2023, 01:05 AM by Grognard Gunny.)
You forgot the heaviest piece of all...... the baseplate. I carried that miserable &*%$#(*, SOB for a time in the Nam. NO fun! (Well, half of it anyway.) I never noticed we were any more dispursed than anyone else.... then again what does a PFC know? 

GG
treadasaurusrex and CavDo like this post
04-16-2023, 01:37 AM,
(04-16-2023, 01:02 AM)Grognard Gunny Wrote: You forgot the heaviest piece of all...... the baseplate. I carried that miserable &*%$#(*, SOB for a time in the Nam. NO fun! (Well, half of it anyway.) I never noticed we were any more dispursed than anyone else.... then again what does a PFC know? 

GG

Good point, Gunny. Smile
Tubac52, cochise75, Sonora And 6 others like this post