Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Illumination and the hexgrain problem
04-14-2023, 02:22 AM,
Illumination and the hexgrain problem
In PG Über 4.1, I added an overlay for the illumination rounds to indicate the range at which an illuminated hex could be seen from. All good and well until I noticed a problem, the overlay only really works on vertical hexgrain map configurations. The overlay is still useful in horizontal configurations, but it doesn't look right. That's not good enough for me.

The solution starts with a global property, which would toggle between the configuration types. The next part is a button or clickable zone. Okay, where to put that? The tool bar seems to be getting a little crowded, but would be a small button. In the turn track chart? There is lots of other information on the turn track. Maybe a toggled text line in the corner or somewhere else? Any other thoughts on where it should go or what form it should take?

The property would also be used for drift patterns regarding persistent smoke and parachute drops. Maybe an overlay for friendly fire and rocket scattering. Others I have forgotten?
CavDo, PANISTA, Tambu And 1 others like this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
04-15-2023, 01:52 AM,
RE: Illumination and the hexgrain problem
what about on the map window...up where the snapshot/zoom buttons are?
Tambu likes this post
04-15-2023, 04:34 AM,
(04-15-2023, 01:52 AM)cjsiam Wrote: what about on the map window...up where the snapshot/zoom buttons are?
I actually had not thought of that. That's a good idea.
CavDo, Tubac52, Tambu And 2 others like this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
04-15-2023, 05:03 AM,
Its difficult to visualize without actually seeing it, but I believe you tackled this in a limited approach on the 2 hex units (USN Destroyers on the Gavutu map as an example) with a hexgrain toggle on the unit itself. The all encompassing hexgrain toggle does seem like a cleaner approach than one on each and every overlay/unit/whatever. 

My point is to consider adding those 2 hex units to the design on the hexgrain toggle.
04-15-2023, 02:01 PM,
You could allow rotation and set it to 12 points. just a right click on the piece.
cjsiam likes this post

User Experience begins with You...
Always looking for people to play PzGdr, Napoleonic Games, and Great War at Sea
(the Vassal for GWAS Mediterranean specifically).
04-15-2023, 05:08 PM,
(04-15-2023, 02:01 PM)goosebrown Wrote: You could allow rotation and set it to 12 points. just a right click on the piece.

And having built that....
switch out the illumination graphic with some woods and hills and towns of different sizes, which can be
rotated and Viola!  Custom Terrain boards---the Holy Grail of Campaign systems...
04-16-2023, 08:12 AM,
(04-15-2023, 05:08 PM)cjsiam Wrote:
(04-15-2023, 02:01 PM)goosebrown Wrote: You could allow rotation and set it to 12 points. just a right click on the piece.

And having built that....
switch out the illumination graphic with some woods and hills and towns of different sizes, which can be
rotated and Viola!  Custom Terrain boards---the Holy Grail of Campaign systems...
Oh, wicked, bad, naughty Zoot! She has been setting alight
to our beacon, which, I just remembered, is grail-shaped. It's not the
first time we've had this problem.
ACav, Reconquista, PANISTA And 5 others like this post

User Experience begins with You...
Always looking for people to play PzGdr, Napoleonic Games, and Great War at Sea
(the Vassal for GWAS Mediterranean specifically).