Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One for the books.
03-11-2023, 09:17 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-11-2023, 09:18 AM by Grognard Gunny.)
One for the books.
An enemy stack attacks another stack which has not yet been activated, The attacker has had enough and retreats to an adjacent hex, taking it's parting shot as it goes. To this point, it is my understanding that the defender it STILL not activated. If not, can it attack the recently retreated unit(s) again as part of IT'S activation or can it, in fact, assault that same stack? Or attack another stack? I've been playing it that the original defender is done for that move (it HAS defended itself AND shot at the running assaulters, after all). What's your opinion?

GG
03-11-2023, 01:08 PM,
RE: One for the books.
I'm not quite sure what you are talking about, but I think it an assault. If it is an assault, it will take a couple of turns to play out.

So here is what I think you are trying to describe:
  1. A stack assaults another stack (whether by normal or extended assault is irrelevant).
  2. All attacking units are disrupted or demoralized in the assault by defensive fire. The attacker's turn is done, they can do nothing more this turn.
  3. The defenders do not assault the original attackers this turn (again why is irrelevant), but they might have been able to.
  4. The next turn the original attackers retreat from the hex before the original defenders have activated. Whether demoralized units failed to rally, or disrupted and good order units chose to leave is irrelevant, the hex is vacated.
  5. The defenders now get a parting shot at the original attackers and the original defenders may still activate and do whatever.
It seems that you think all that can happen in 1 turn, it can't, it takes 2 turns. You also seem to be under the impression that units may move between assault hexes, again they can't.
Miguelibal, treadasaurusrex, sagunto And 5 others like this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
03-11-2023, 03:19 PM,
If a unit or stack assaults during it's activation, the defending units will defend themselves without being activated. Each side will suffer whatever results occur from that assault. The activated (attacking) units are done and marked as moved/fired. They stay in the hex. There should not be a case where they assault, are demoralized and retreat in a single activation, which is what your question seemed to imply.

The defending (non-activated) units in the hex will have the option of assaulting (now they are attackers and the original attackers are defending), recovering any disrupted/demoralized units, possibly digging in, retreating or just passing.

Their choice will be influenced by things such as how strong they are, the status of the enemy units present (disrupted/demoralized), the terrain they are in, can they be reinforced in a timely manner and the importance of the hex.
joe_oppenheimer, cjsiam, sagunto And 9 others like this post
"It was a battle right fierce and terrible" - Froissart
03-14-2023, 09:00 PM,
Whoops! Been making a slight mistake all along here..... now it's corrected (and makes a heck of a lot more sense).

GG
garbare83686 likes this post