Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Retreat hell, we just got here!
03-05-2023, 01:02 AM,
Retreat hell, we just got here!
When is it proper for a demoralized unit to retreat? I get it that during an assault the unit(s) must go the one square back immediately, attempt to recover the next turn and then retreat if unsuccessful. How's about a unit that is not in an assault? (I have tried a couple of "solutions", wanted "veteran" players' input.)

GG
03-05-2023, 02:22 AM,
RE: Retreat hell, we just got here!
See 14.31 Fleeing.
ACav, CavDo, treadasaurusrex And 9 others like this post
03-05-2023, 02:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-05-2023, 02:30 AM by Grognard Gunny.)
That's where I was "fuzzy". So... the demoralized unit stays in the stack until he cannot "recover" (in his activation") or does he retreat first prior to recovery attempts?

GG
03-05-2023, 02:38 AM,
See 14.3 Demoralization on what demoralized units can do/have to do upon activation.  basically, when they activate, they must attempt recovery and if they fail, they flee.  If they activate with other, good order units, it's up to you how you order the various actions.
Tubac52, Reconquista, treadasaurusrex And 10 others like this post
03-05-2023, 03:01 AM,
"I get it that during an assault the unit(s) must go the one square back immediately, attempt to recover the next turn and then retreat if unsuccessful"

Depending on what you were saying this could be wrong. They don't immediately retreat from the assault hex upon becoming demoralized, they do when they fail a recovery roll, which they must be activated to attempt. 

2 oft missed special cases to consider as well, if they are surrounded by enemy units and they must flee, they are eliminated. And they do not HAVE to flee if they are in an entrenchment, but they may if the owning player so chooses.
ACav, OldPueblo, Tubac52 And 8 others like this post
03-05-2023, 05:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-05-2023, 05:33 AM by Grognard Gunny.)
Now here it becomes a bit problematical; If the unit in question has been set back into a state of demoralization is seems likely that it will "bolt and run" at the first opportunity. (Hence the "retreat", then try "recovery" bit.) However, if you say so, I will play it stand fast and try recovery.... even though logic is against that particular behavior. (...with the added perplexity and nuisance of a "demoralized" unit "standing fast" while it sorts itself out.)

GG
03-05-2023, 05:37 AM,
(03-05-2023, 05:33 AM)Grognard Gunny Wrote: However, if you say so,

Don't get carried away, GG. He doesn't say so, the rules say so and are very clear on the order of operations.

All DEM units are permitted to do is try to rally, and in fact they MUST try to rally each turn. If they succeed, they become DIS or good order in place. If they fail, they (usually) must flee as far as possible. There is no ambiguity here.

If you have a question about a particular section of the 4th edition rules, please let us know which one and what your question is so that we can help you through it.
ACav, Tambu, CavDo And 6 others like this post
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
03-05-2023, 05:49 AM,
I DID SAY I was trying to get "veteran players" opinions. So where you think I was getting "carried away" with anything.... kind of surprises me. As I said, I will play it out, hence, as you (all) said and let my problems go bye the bye. I DON'T have a problem with it.

GG
03-06-2023, 08:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-06-2023, 08:01 AM by rerathbun.)
It's also important to note that units don't flee unless they are subject to Direct Fire or Anti-Tank Fire (14.31).

As far as demoralized units holding in place until they fail a recovery die roll, you can think of it this way.  They are combat ineffective, just hunkering down in place.  At some later point, if someone is still shooting at them (even if an enemy unit does not use Direct Fire on them there would still be occasional pot-shots), they may lose their nerve even more and flee.

Just my two cents.
OldPueblo, Tubac52, ACav And 14 others like this post
03-07-2023, 06:20 AM,
Now, THAT works!

GG
treadasaurusrex likes this post