Poll: 3rd Edition Scenario - What rules/charts to use?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
3rd Edition Only
3.45%
1 3.45%
4th Edition Only
93.10%
27 93.10%
4th Edition Rules / 3rd Edition Charts
3.45%
1 3.45%
Total 29 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4th Edition Rules / 3rd Edition Scenarios
02-26-2023, 01:35 AM,
RE: 4th Edition Rules / 3rd Edition Scenarios
Why not keep it consistent with the rules as written?   Once dug in and remaining dug in, the unit is always considered to be in limiting terrain.  If it wipes out all units that can spot it, why not allow it to go back to limited terrain status?  This would be just like if playing 2nd or 3rd Edition, the unit on the hill would also regain its status if it got rid of the bad guys.

Here's a reason I say so, let's say the scenario has the bad guys start 24 hexes away and they have one recon unit.  On the first turn, the recon unit drives down a road and gets within four hexes of our stout defenders dug in on the hill.  The ATG dug in, fires and kills the recon-by-death unit.  Now that TG is seen band the when the bad guy infantry slogs up to within 12 hexes, they call don all their artillery on the ATG gun.  But if the ATG gun is treated as it was in limited terrain, the elimination of the recon unit would make it unseen once again like any other such unit in "real" limiting terrain.
Tankodactyl, ACav, Tambu And 4 others like this post
02-26-2023, 01:56 AM,
(02-26-2023, 01:35 AM)Blackcloud6 Wrote: Why not keep it consistent with the rules as written?   Once dug in and remaining dug in, the unit is always considered to be in limiting terrain.  If it wipes out all units that can spot it, why not allow it to go back to limited terrain status?  This would be just like if playing 2nd or 3rd Edition, the unit on the hill would also regain its status if it got rid of the bad guys.

Here's a reason I say so, let's say the scenario has the bad guys start 24 hexes away and they have one recon unit.  On the first turn, the recon unit drives down a road and gets within four hexes of our stout defenders dug in on the hill.  The ATG dug in, fires and kills the recon-by-death unit.  Now that TG is seen band the when the bad guy infantry slogs up to within 12 hexes, they call don all their artillery on the ATG gun.  But if the ATG gun is treated as it was in limited terrain, the elimination of the recon unit would make it unseen once again like any other such unit in "real" limiting terrain.

I'm the RAW purist around here. No need to convince me to play RAW. To me the only problem with 2nd/3rd hill rules was the differing interpretations on the BN maps. 

That being said, I always read house rules with the understanding that they are going to be distinct from RAW, otherwise they wouldn't have been made. Thats why I interpreted Tread's words as such, but as stated, he can tell us himself what he meant.
02-26-2023, 03:10 AM,
Thanks for all the replies!  4th edition it is!
Tambu, Tankodactyl, chaco And 2 others like this post
02-26-2023, 06:22 AM,
...and I'll bet he thinks we're ALL fanatics!  Big Grin

GG
02-26-2023, 07:09 AM,
(02-25-2023, 11:14 PM)Blackcloud6 Wrote:
Quote:Unless prohibited by special scenario rules, ALL units that are dug-in on hill, slope, wadi & gully hexes are considered to be in limiting terrain and are spotted by enemy units that approach to within 3 hexes, or 4 hexes for reconnaissance units – unless they fire or move.

You might want to revise the bolded portion to read unless they are marked with a spotted marker, see 8.22.

This brings your house rule in conformity with the rules as written.

Thanks Colonel. Will send you a  copy of the revised house rules including your fine edit.  Smile
Tambu, chaco, ACav And 3 others like this post
02-26-2023, 07:16 AM,
(02-25-2023, 11:24 PM)triangular_cube Wrote:
(02-25-2023, 01:57 PM)goosebrown Wrote:
(02-25-2023, 01:29 PM)triangular_cube Wrote:
(02-25-2023, 12:57 PM)treadasaurusrex Wrote:
(02-25-2023, 01:38 AM)gambler1650 Wrote: Hi all,

Getting back into Panzer Grenadier and I have a question.  I've seen a bit of reference to this in other posts, but I wanted to get people's wisdom on this subject in one place.  Since there are some changes to the rules in 4th edition (different movement costs and hills not being limiting terrain anymore), I can see there potentially being some issues in playing a scenario tested with the 3rd edition rules but using the 4th.  I see three possible choices:

1) Use the rules and charts that came with the game,
2) Use the 4th edition rules and charts,
3) Use the 4th edition rules but the 3rd edition charts

Thoughts?

Robert
Howdy Robert,

At the risk annoying any number of PG pursuits, yet again . . .

Here's a handy house rule that many of use when playing the desert terrain PG games. It's much like the 2nd & 3rd edition rule that others have mentioned in this thread. Hope that you find it as useful as we do.
 Dug In Units are Automatically in Limiting Terrain in Desert Games
Unless prohibited by special scenario rules, ALL units that are dug-in on hill, slope, wadi & gully hexes are considered to be in limiting terrain and are spotted by enemy units that approach to within 3 hexes, or 4 hexes for reconnaissance units – unless they fire or move.

This house rule is a return to earlier versions of the PG rule set and is ONLY available for use for scenarios in these games:
Africa Orientale Italiana, Afrika 1944, Afrika Korps, An Army at Dawn, Conquest of Ethiopia, Desert Rats, La Campagne de Tunisie and The Last Horse Soldier

Happy trails -- Remember it's just a game -- so have fun playing it,

Treadasaurus

No love for the other desert modules? Wink  Guessing you just haven't played those thus never applied your house rule to those.

We thought we had them all. I think the idea was that it was for ALL desert modules. Let Tread know what ones we missed.

South Africa's War, C&C V2, Carpathian Brigade, DAK 44, Corazzata all come to mind. Im sure they have popped up in some of the other more expansive modules in a couple scenarios here an there.
Your right, we have not played those games enough -- or at all.
Good point and thanks for your sharp eye! Will add them to the next edition of the experimental house rules.
Tambu, Reconquista, OldPueblo And 1 others like this post
02-26-2023, 09:49 AM,
(02-26-2023, 06:22 AM)Grognard Gunny Wrote: ...and I'll bet he thinks we're ALL fanatics!  Big Grin

GG

I wear my fanatic hat with pride  Tongue
cjsiam likes this post