Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ladder Intro, Basic Rules, and FAQ
02-20-2023, 12:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-26-2023, 07:54 AM by Shad.)
Ladder Intro, Basic Rules, and FAQ
Introduction

The PG-HQ Vassal Ladder is finished and ready for action. Please read through the notes below and then join us!

PG-HQ Vassal Ladder

Ladder Basic Rules
  1. You can only challenge up to two ranks above your own.
  2. Once you register your scenario, PG-HQ will automatically monitor incoming shared plays for that scenario with you and your opponent and will update the ladder accordingly once it detects a matching play record.
  3. Winning a challenge moves you to your opponent's rank, and they and everyone below them slide down one.
  4. Winning a defense results in no movement by either player.
  5. Draws result in no movement by either player.
  6. If you were challenged and lose, you may call for a rematch of the same scenario. Please switch sides for the second battle. The original challenger must accept these terms or forfeit automatically.
  7. If real world conflicts prevent the timely conclusion of your match, you are encouraged to forfeit to avoid clogging ladder progress for others. You can always have a rematch in the future.
  8. New players start at the bottom.
  9. Players are expected to make every possible effort to get along, this is all only for fun.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Do I have to use Vassal?
A. No. If you and your opponent can play face to face, great, please do so! Other platforms are also acceptable. Vassal should be considered the default method and by joining the ladder you automatically consent to play over Vassal if your opponent requests that method.

Q. How do I submit a challenge result?
A. Just record the shared play as you normally would. Once both players have recorded the shared play on the site the challenge will conclude and ranks will be adjusted automatically.

Q. How do I get in touch with my opponent?
A. When a challenge is issued, both players receive the same notification email. Use that email address to reach out to your opponent and discuss possible scenarios. Alternately, you can use the PM system here in the forums. There is no need to CC'd admin@pg-hq.com during this process.

Q. What happens if I challenge someone one rank better than me, but before we finish our match they are promoted several more ranks?
A. If you lose, nothing. If you win, you will be given the rank they held the moment your results are submitted. In this instance you will have gained more than one rank, lucky for you!

Q. How long should it take to finish a challenge?
A. This will vary widely depending on the size of the scenario chosen, the duration of each play session, and the frequency of each play session. PG-HQ requests that you try to play at least one session per week at least one hour in length until the challenge is concluded. If you cannot commit to one session of an hour per week, you really shouldn't be on the ladder.

Q. The scenario we picked sucks. It's not balanced / I made a mistake during setup / the VPs are stupid, etc. and I want a do-over!
A. No do-overs. Take the loss and then challenge them again if you please.

Q. What about rulesets?
A. Challenges are expected to take place under 4th Edition rules and charts. Optional rules must be agreed upon in advance of play. Fog of War is recommended for expediency's sake. Prior to commencing battle, you may find it useful to post a thread here documenting the agreed upon rule variances, if any, to avoid disagreements down the road. One thread per challenge is more than welcome.

Q. I can't get in touch with my opponent / I've been ghosted. Now what?
A. Notify the PG-HQ Admin by posting in this forum. If I can't get in touch with your opponent within a reasonable amount of time (1 ~ 2 weeks) then I will forfeit the challenge on their behalf.

Q. I need to take a break from the ladder for a long period of time due to real world responsibilities. What do I do?
A. If you are confident that you will resume play in the future, just stay on the ladder. If you are challenged and still can't play you should forfeit to keep the ladder moving. If you are unsure that you will play in the future, notify the PG-HQ Admin and I will remove you from the ladder. You can always rejoin in the future if circumstances change.

Q. My opponent and I have reached an impasse. Now what?
A. PG-HQ Admin will be sole arbiter of any impasse and all rulings are binding and final. Players are expected to make a good faith effort to resolve any issues amicably before contacting the Admin, and to always assume good faith in the actions of their opponents. This is all just for fun, and whining will not be received warmly. Rolleyes
cjsiam and goosebrown like this post
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
02-20-2023, 02:55 AM,
RE: Ladder Intro, Basic Rules, and FAQ
Woo HOO!

I CHALLENGE ALL OF YOU ALL

Hold on to your hat!
PANISTA, treadasaurusrex, cjsiam like this post

User Experience begins with You...
Always looking for people to play PzGdr, Napoleonic Games, and Great War at Sea
(the Vassal for GWAS Mediterranean specifically).
02-22-2023, 01:27 PM,
(02-20-2023, 02:55 AM)goosebrown Wrote: Woo HOO!

I CHALLENGE ALL OF YOU ALL

Hold on to your hat!

So far it is still all 2 of us. I don't know if it is because of timidity, under the misconception of it still being best in 2 rounds, or not understanding the rematch option in single round ladders. Regardless, we 3 are the only ones ready to plant out flags in each other's hearts at present.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
02-22-2023, 02:05 PM,
I am sharpening my flagpole every night. Your cardboard destruction will be retold in generations of my descendents' history books.
02-22-2023, 03:01 PM,
(02-22-2023, 02:05 PM)Shad Wrote: I am sharpening my flagpole every night. Your cardboard destruction will be retold in generations of my descendents' history books.

I. Will. Recycle. You.
Shad likes this post

User Experience begins with You...
Always looking for people to play PzGdr, Napoleonic Games, and Great War at Sea
(the Vassal for GWAS Mediterranean specifically).
02-22-2023, 03:57 PM,
Good grief. Some of us haven't the time or the inclination for this kind of over-regulated competition. Some of us play PG with people that we want to play with, because we enjoy shared play -- you know -- for the fun and with good company. Don't misinterpret this as a reflection of some kind of timidity to engage with others.
PANISTA, Dougal1951, sagunto And 9 others like this post
02-22-2023, 10:16 PM,
(02-22-2023, 03:57 PM)CavDo Wrote: Good grief. Some of us haven't the time or the inclination for this kind of over-regulated competition. Some of us play PG with people that we want to play with, because we enjoy shared play -- you know -- for the fun and with good company. Don't misinterpret this as a reflection of some kind of timidity to engage with others.

That's a little strong, don't you think? Especially since participation is completely voluntary, regulation is honorary between the players and it's games we are likely to play anyway. How much worse is this compared to people who play umpteen scenarios to advance in rank? (Yes, they do exist.) You've not signed up for ladder. Game play still counts the same, whether on the ladder or not. What's it to you?
Shad likes this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
02-23-2023, 12:18 AM,
(02-22-2023, 03:57 PM)CavDo Wrote: Good grief. (snip) Don't misinterpret this as a reflection of some kind of timidity to engage with others.

And don't misinterpret Peter and I trashtalking as anything other than friendly nonsense. We've been collaborating together here for over a decade.

(Also he's going to be utterly annihilated. 50-0 win-loss, you'll see!)
02-23-2023, 12:24 AM,
To put a finer point on how seriously Peter and I take our soon to have ranks, we just started playing Alaska's War from start to finish. Balance on that one is all over the place. We'll end up where we end up! Big Grin