• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Convoluted Games
02-13-2023, 12:55 AM,
RE: Convoluted Games
Yes, they are.

GG
02-20-2023, 12:23 AM,
Actually, I am embarrassed to say, I found myself falling into my old habit of moving all the troops on one side before the other side could move. Which, of you look at the situation logicaly, IS the way to go in amphibious assaults. (Piecemealing it ain't gonna get it!) So I "reverted to form" and it HORRIBLY confused the situation...... at any rate, I was on move three before I discovered my error...... Whoops. (I HATE IT when I screw up THAT badly!)

So I wrote it off and reconsidered my options.... and decided to go with the "More Basic" PG games for now. Having gotten my feet on back on the ground and NOT making such a stupid mistake any more, I will attempt to land on Saipan once more in the near future.  Dodgy

GG
02-20-2023, 03:01 AM,
The mentoring scenarios are free and they are pretty good to get familiar with the system. When you start doing air drops and amphibious stuff and river boats and all that it is fun but to start it helps to really learn the flow well. 

And one bone I have to pick is APL wants the intro game to be Invasion or Airborne and that all has bocage and that is really a time sink at first. I forgot what games you have.
OldPueblo, CavDo, Reconquista And 6 others like this post

User Experience begins with You...
Always looking for people to play PzGdr, Napoleonic Games, and Great War at Sea
(the Vassal for GWAS Mediterranean specifically).
03-19-2023, 09:44 AM,
OK! I am going to attempt Saipan once again. (Wish me luck.... AND patience!)  Rolleyes

GG
cjsiam, goosebrown, treadasaurusrex like this post
03-20-2023, 03:05 AM,
(02-11-2023, 10:28 PM)Shad Wrote:
(02-11-2023, 06:08 AM)triangular_cube Wrote:
(02-11-2023, 05:39 AM)Shad Wrote: If you really want to feel a bit lost, mate, play Guadalcanal. That's all the Americans are the entire time - lost in the jungle! Big Grin

Despite the reputation, only 5 scenarios call for the disorientation rule in Guadalcanal, and of those, only twice does it apply to the Americans (it applies to the Japanese all 5 times). The most interesting bit about those Guadalcanal jungle rules was that you couldn't examine enemy stacks in the Jungle unless you could spot it, so combined with the massive amounts of leaders in the module some scenarios were a literal shell game of the USMC hiding their MGs behind the wall of LTs until the Japanese walked adjacent for OP fire.

Then if the Japanese could assault you in good order you probably lost...

You're right about everything, but now try and visualize playing that game over Vassal. Everything would be hidden until you stepped on someone's toe. Big Grin  Completely different experience.

You can get that type of game experience with almost any computer game.  Try playing the Guadalcanal Campaign with one of the many versions of Steel Panthers.
treadasaurusrex and cjsiam like this post
"Don't let the dirt and rust hang you up, we like to give the impression that we are out of action badly in need of rest and reorganization"
03-23-2023, 07:56 AM,
For those who don't "look at" AARs, the Saipan landing scenarios have a lot of good, challenging stuff in them. Well worth the effort!

GG