Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
False Starts
09-05-2012, 02:56 AM,
False Starts
I often restart a scenario, even multiple times, if it's obvious after a few turns that a better strategy was available.

I don't have an exact number of restarts but my best estimate is somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2.

I am curious if this is common practice.
09-05-2012, 03:14 AM,
RE: False Starts
I try not to do this and play it out until one side no longer has a chance to win.
09-05-2012, 03:23 AM,
My opponents never allow me to ....... self-centred b*****ds ! :-)
09-05-2012, 03:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-05-2012, 03:25 AM by Poor Yorek.)
I've only replayed for my own edification a few scenarios (but I don't stop a play and "restart" from the middle). Perhaps this is a drawback to having so many games and scenario options? I just ended one last night in which any number of alternative attack/approach options might have been attempted by the Soviets, but I play slowly and it was a big scenario so the time investment becomes "prohibitive" to me compared to moving on to something else.
09-05-2012, 03:38 AM,
I will restart if I find that I misread a setup item or especially a supplement or SSR.
No "minor" country left behind...
09-05-2012, 03:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-05-2012, 03:50 AM by Hugmenot.)
(09-05-2012, 03:24 AM)Poor Yorek Wrote: Perhaps this is a drawback to having so many games and scenario options?
I doubt it as I own 36 games and supplements and I restart scenarios quite often.

(09-05-2012, 03:24 AM)Poor Yorek Wrote: I just ended one last night in which any number of alternative attack/approach options might have been attempted by the Soviets, but I play slowly and it was a big scenario so the time investment becomes "prohibitive" to me compared to moving on to something else.
I am not certain we are discussing the same thing. I am talking about restarting a scenario after a few turns (say 3-4) if it's clear one side used a bad strategy (however you choose to define the term).

Restarting a scenario once does not usually cost me more than 1-2 hours, a cost I find acceptable.

I sometimes go to extremes and restart a scenario 5 or 6 times but only in cases where I want to experiment with different approaches or want to better understand a specific situation..
09-05-2012, 04:05 AM,
(09-05-2012, 03:49 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: I am talking about restarting a scenario after a few turns (say 3-4) if it's clear one side used a bad strategy (however you choose to define the term).

Do you ever then feel after the re-start that you have cheated one side if they were initially winning, but are now losing ?
09-05-2012, 04:13 AM,
(09-05-2012, 04:05 AM)vince hughes Wrote:
(09-05-2012, 03:49 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: I am talking about restarting a scenario after a few turns (say 3-4) if it's clear one side used a bad strategy (however you choose to define the term).

Do you ever then feel after the re-start that you have cheated one side if they were initially winning, but are now losing ?

On the other hand, do you ever feel that you have cheated the side that was losing by incompetently setting up or entering the battlefield. I can see this both ways...
No "minor" country left behind...
09-05-2012, 04:45 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-05-2012, 04:59 AM by Poor Yorek.)
Quote:I doubt it as I own 36 games and supplements and I restart scenarios quite often.

I think my comment was more reflective, not directed towards yourself.

Quote:I am not certain we are discussing the same thing. I am talking about restarting a scenario after a few turns (say 3-4) if it's clear one side used a bad strategy (however you choose to define the term).

I realized that after my initial post and modified my reply to include the parenthetical "but I don't stop a play and "restart" from the middle" to make that clarification. Must have been a case where you replied to the original version even as I edited the original message.

So understand that I wasn't rendering any judgment: I was only saying that, perhaps unfortunately, I find it difficult enough to finish scenarios as it is, so likely don't think about either "restarting" or "replaying."

Hope that clarifies.
09-05-2012, 05:20 AM,
(09-05-2012, 04:45 AM)Poor Yorek Wrote: I find it difficult enough to finish scenarios as it is, so likely don't think about either "restarting" or "replaying."

Hope that clarifies.
Not only this answer my question, it provides your rationale. Thanks!

(09-05-2012, 04:05 AM)vince hughes Wrote: Do you ever then feel after the re-start that you have cheated one side if they were initially winning, but are now losing ?
No, never. The concept of cheating one side by restarting a solo scenario never entered my mind.

Now it did, now it exited just as quickly Big Grin