Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reduced starters
01-25-2023, 01:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-25-2023, 01:15 PM by Grognard Gunny.)
Reduced starters
Some scenarios have units (on either side) that begin "reduced" (I will assume that means 'with one step gone'.)

If those reduced units are further reduced during the game and thrown into the "dead pile" (for later accounting), are they only counted for the actual step lost in combat, or are they counted as two steps lost? If only the actual step lost in combat, how does one keep track of which is which?

Unless it is but another kink in the game to separate the two "types" of losses in units,,,,,,,

GG
goosebrown likes this post
01-25-2023, 01:36 PM,
RE: Reduced starters
Only count the step loss for the step in play. You can flip the units in the graveyard so if you lose two steps, flip it to full strength and if you lose one, then leave it as a 1 step unit
Sonora and Schoenwulf like this post

User Experience begins with You...
Always looking for people to play PzGdr, Napoleonic Games, and Great War at Sea
(the Vassal for GWAS Mediterranean specifically).
01-25-2023, 01:44 PM,
I track step losses, initiative, and such with pencil and paper.
garbare83686, joe_oppenheimer, triangular_cube And 1 others like this post
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
01-25-2023, 03:27 PM,
(01-25-2023, 01:44 PM)Shad Wrote: I track step losses, initiative, and such with pencil and paper.

And its certainly not as burdensome as it may sound. Before converting to primarily vassal which has its own tickers for tracking it, all I really did was set up a few tally columns on scratch paper and it was sufficient for the vast majority of scenarios. 

Since OP has been playing Battle of the Bulge

T - A - G 3(5)
------------2 (3)

With T = Completed Turns tallied beneath, A(merican) step losses tallied beneath, G(erman) step losses tallied beneath, and Initiative(steps to reduce initiative) to the side.

Unless you have onerous scenario special rules, thats really all you need to track for gameplay/victory purposes within 1 square inch of paper.
01-25-2023, 10:44 PM,
(01-25-2023, 03:27 PM)triangular_cube Wrote: within 1 square inch of paper.

You just triggered some memories of being annoyed that I got an entire 8.5x11 sheet of clean white paper and tallied up about 5% of it for a small scenario.

Now what do I do? Put it back in the box and use it next time? Huh Big Grin

Agree 100%. Not burdensome at all.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
01-25-2023, 11:10 PM,
Oh I'll keep a tally sheet. I was looking for an easy out, that's all. I really HATE to clutter things up. Hobbys are supposed to be fun, remember?

GG
01-26-2023, 12:25 AM,
(01-25-2023, 01:15 PM)Grognard Gunny Wrote: Some scenarios have units (on either side) that begin "reduced" (I will assume that means 'with one step gone'.)

Yes, that's correct. Unless the SSR's say otherwise, or you don't have a major, they are eligible for consolidation with the optional rule.

(01-25-2023, 01:15 PM)Grognard Gunny Wrote: If those reduced units are further reduced during the game and thrown into the "dead pile" (for later accounting), are they only counted for the actual step lost in combat, or are they counted as two steps lost? If only the actual step lost in combat, how does one keep track of which is which?

They are only one step for loses, still normally double if is a reduced tank. In Vassal, I normally put units back to their original state when sending them to the graveyard (serves as a backup). There is a step loss counter on the turn track (my primary record). Of course Drew's tree-killer method always works.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
01-26-2023, 10:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-19-2023, 10:35 PM by Blackcloud6.)
If you put Plexiglas over your map, you can use an alcohol pen to write down the tic marks for keeping track of losses, initiative changes, terrain changes etc.  Then when done, wipe it away with alcohol on a paper towel.
Sonora likes this post
01-27-2023, 12:09 AM,
That's not a bad idea. I generally put Pexiglas over my map area to keep the maps clean, for the most part. (...and to keep things "aligned", some scenarios are left for hours at a time....) It's just a matter of marking the area. Not bad at all.

GG
Blackcloud6 and treadasaurusrex like this post