Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Edelweiss Counters
11-01-2022, 11:09 AM,
RE: Edelweiss Counters
It would be nice if here at the HQ someone would detail the history of the Edelweiss supplement.  I think it went something like this;  V1: spiral bound book with 74 counters, V2: spiral bound book with 74 counters and PDF download for 87 additional counters, V3: booklet format with 161 printed counters.

I'm still struggling to piece together which counters came with the 161 counter supplement.  I really wish somebody had done a counter scan of the expanded counter sheets.
11-01-2022, 12:23 PM,
(11-01-2022, 11:09 AM)KirkH Wrote: It would be nice if here at the HQ someone would detail the history of the Edelweiss supplement.  I think it went something like this;  V1: spiral bound book with 74 counters, V2: spiral bound book with 74 counters and PDF download for 87 additional counters, V3: booklet format with 161 printed counters.

I'm still struggling to piece together which counters came with the 161 counter supplement.  I really wish somebody had done a counter scan of the expanded counter sheets.

Not at all an exhaustive history....

V1 was a simple staple bound booklet with 24 scenarios and 74 counters, 4 of which were the double sized one. Pictured here without the double sized counters. https://boardgamegeek.com/image/180105/e...nario-book

V2 was the expanded edition, with the same 74 counters and 32 scenarios on a hard/cardboard spiral bound booklet. https://boardgamegeek.com/image/312158/e...nario-book

V3? I thought this was the PDF version of the expanded edition with the extra counters mentioned here? Maybe this was actually available in a printed version? My understanding was the scenario book was identical?

V4 with a full book of 41 scenarios and 161 laser cut counters. https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2077511/...nario-book

I really am interested in what others can confirm about that 3rd edition. I may have to track one down for collection purposes...
11-01-2022, 01:00 PM,
V3 had a full DIY countersheet (161 counters). V4 is also a PDF download via the Gold Club.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
11-01-2022, 02:04 PM,
I have the 2013 dated book but can't locate the extra (the ones over and above the 74 that have always come with Edelweiss) counters.  Maybe I'll need to take a quick drive down to Birmingham to sort this out with Dr. Mike.
11-01-2022, 09:12 PM,
2013 is the latest version, Edelweiss IV. Have you determined what is missing?
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
11-02-2022, 01:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-02-2022, 02:14 AM by KirkH.)
I looked in one final place and found a ziploc bag full of 161 laser cut Edelweiss counters.  For some reason they weren't with the rest of my PG stuff.  Maybe they were trying to defect.  Sorry for the senior moment guys.
11-02-2022, 02:38 AM,
There's a note in the "Box Back" section of the Game Page for Edelweiss Expanded:
Quote:Note: This is actually the 3rd edition of Edelweiss. There is no Library entry for the 2nd edition because it has the 74 die-cut counters from 1st edition and the same scenario book as 3rd edition.

As I recall, Edelweiss Expanded was originally offered as a "Print and Play" .pdf file before being offered in a comb-bound print version with laser-cut counters.  Edelweiss IV kept the same laser-cut countersheet, but rewrote and expanded the scenarios to fill out the new color-cover book.
11-02-2022, 04:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-02-2022, 04:41 AM by triangular_cube.)
(11-02-2022, 02:38 AM)rerathbun Wrote: There's a note in the "Box Back" section of the Game Page for Edelweiss Expanded:
Quote:Note: This is actually the 3rd edition of Edelweiss. There is no Library entry for the 2nd edition because it has the 74 die-cut counters from 1st edition and the same scenario book as 3rd edition.

As I recall, Edelweiss Expanded was originally offered as a "Print and Play" .pdf file before being offered in a comb-bound print version with laser-cut counters.  Edelweiss IV kept the same laser-cut countersheet, but rewrote and expanded the scenarios to fill out the new color-cover book.

I would think print and play would be after the physical release for the expanded edition. My spiral comb bound booklet has a date of 2007, came with 74 counters, and looking at the web archive from january 2008 i see no mention of it being a pdf, while the description does reference the comb binding. I do see mention of it being a downloadable supplement in 2009 with the larger counterset (but no number indicated). Then in 2011 the updated page says 165? counters on PnP. Then in 2012 the page updated for the 4th edition preview. 

I'm really not seeing anywhere in the timeline where the expanded non 4th edition was released with the laser cut 161 piece set.