Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bocage
09-01-2022, 10:04 AM,
Bocage

.pdf   Bocage 1.pdf (Size: 150.53 KB / Downloads: 80)
Just finished a scenario set on Bocage boards 106 & 107 from Invasion 44. It's not the first time we play on these boards but Invasion 44 advanced rules for bocage are not so easy to apply (who has a clear LOS, who is spotted, who may fire or be fired on ?). So we made up a kind of summary of our understanding of how to play through. 
Any comments ?
goosebrown and joe_oppenheimer like this post
02-09-2023, 01:53 AM,
RE: Bocage
I think if one just follows the rules, as written (albiet confusing), one should be able to "work out" the spotting and firing parameters. I think the rules set up the "Bocage" scenarios very well, considering that it WAS very difficult terrain to fight in. )One of the reasons why it took so long to slog through them.)

GG
02-09-2023, 04:54 AM,
Yes, indeed. But do you agree with the spot/LOS/fire situations proposed in the pdf file ?
02-09-2023, 06:18 AM,
If you are talking about PDF files as in "play by Skype" type.... whoops, I'm not into that aspect of it yet. I shall retreat into my quiet corner and keep my mouth shut. 

GG
02-09-2023, 08:01 AM,
No, no ! Just the « bocage 1.pdf » file attached to my original message.
02-09-2023, 11:46 AM,
I’ll throw out a question that bugs me to this day. Referring back to map 106, let’s look at the US INF stationed in hex 1111. They’re behind Bocage adjacent to hex 1110. Assuming that the INF fires at that hex, a -2 Bocage modifier would apply to this attack. I realize that firing at the adjacent Panther with DF is futile, but please bear with me for a second. The INF in 1111 also has both a clear LOS and a clear LOF to hexes 1109 and 1108.

Assuming the INF fires at either of these two hexes, does the -2 Bocage modifier apply to that fire as well? I just can’t tell whether this is a defensive or offensive modifier. Your example of the M10 firing at the Panther with no modifiers has me thinking it’s a defensive thing, but I do seek a bit more clarity.

Thank you. Peace. Michael
02-11-2023, 07:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-11-2023, 07:58 AM by Grognard Gunny.)
I read the rule to mean that if you are firing through a hexside, it also means that you have situated yourself so that you can see through the hexside. As t should be and makes for great ambushes. So that the -2 Bocage "penalty" does not exist for outgoing fire but DOES exist for incoming fire. This aspect is the crux of fighting in the bocage and the rule is well written to reflect that aspect. Another "Makes Sence" rule!

Then again, does thart hold for the unit(s) in hex 1110 firing back at 1111..... Hmmmmm.....? 

GG
Michael Murphy likes this post
02-12-2023, 11:46 PM,
(02-09-2023, 11:46 AM)Michael Murphy Wrote: I’ll throw out a question that bugs me to this day. Referring back to map 106, let’s look at the US INF stationed in hex 1111. They’re behind Bocage adjacent to hex 1110. Assuming that the INF fires at that hex, a -2 Bocage modifier would apply to this attack. I realize that firing at the adjacent Panther with DF is futile, but please bear with me for a second. The INF in 1111 also has both a clear LOS and a clear LOF to hexes 1109 and 1108.

Assuming the INF fires at either of these two hexes, does the -2 Bocage modifier apply to that fire as well? I just can’t tell whether this is a defensive or offensive modifier. Your example of the M10 firing at the Panther with no modifiers has me thinking it’s a defensive thing, but I do seek a bit more clarity.

IMHO the -2 bocage modifier does not apply to INF fire from 1110 to 1109 or 1108. Similarly, bocage does not hinder the AT fire from the M-10 vs the Panther.
However, the advanced rule on page 8 of Invasion 44 seems to rule it out the other way (but it might be unvolontary or poor wording…). It is also possible that Matt or Daniel have already answered to that question somewhere, I don’t remember exactly.
Anyway, I don’t find it realistic to apply the bocage mod in this situation.