Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panzer Lehr and laser cut counters.
06-05-2012, 11:22 PM,
Panzer Lehr and laser cut counters.
My copy of panzer lehr arrived and I wanted to check out the new laser cut counters. The back has burn marks all over it. Was curious if the burns were typical because I think Kursk north flank laser cut the counters as well. Would hate to have that game covered in burn marks.
06-05-2012, 11:35 PM,
RE: Panzer Lehr and laser cut counters.
Can you upload some photos mate?
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
06-06-2012, 01:26 AM,
(06-05-2012, 11:35 PM)Shad Wrote: Can you upload some photos mate?

No problem. I have a few, let me see if these go up...

[Image: photo.JPG]

[Image: photo-1.JPG]
06-06-2012, 02:41 AM,
Wow. Most of the burn is on the sprue, but still that's impressive. Haven't received my box of goodies yet, but now I'm prepared. Does give them the look of having been in the field for combat.
06-06-2012, 02:43 AM,
The scorching seems to add gravitas.

What to my mind is far more disconcerting is the lack of centering of the combat values to the point where the artwork is cut-off at the bottom. This is unacceptable for a professional product and I would go so far as to suggest demanding replacements.
06-06-2012, 03:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-06-2012, 03:15 AM by J6A.)
To me, there's only one counter where even a part of the value is cut off, and even there it's clear its an 8-8. Its not perfect, that's for sure, and to me, hardly demanding of a replacement. As for the scorch marks, I found with WotE that they are much less noticeable on individual counters than they are on the sheet as a whole. As was noted, most of the burning is on the sprue. Its the nature of laser cutting, you're going to have scorch marks if you're burning wood (and what is paper, besides very thin wood?).

I also hope that the centering issue on this one is bad luck, not symptomatic of the entire print run.
06-06-2012, 03:27 AM,
To me, the laser cutting makes it look like the game was owned by a lifetime smoker and the misaligned counters are just bush league. I guess the real question is will this be the expected outcome for Kursk? I can easily live without Lehr, but I've been really looking forward to Kursk and I'm going to be extremely disappointed if the main component comes out looking as trashed as these counters.
06-06-2012, 05:23 AM,
Each decal sheet for the counters is individually set when they are printed, so its more likely that the one sheet is an aberration. I haven't seen anyone else comment about this, so I'm guessing this one just had the decals placed poorly, rather than the entire operation being off.
06-06-2012, 05:42 AM,
Believe me when I say I am not being a fan-boy. I have coated AP off enough when needed.

But I'm a little embarrassed to say that I like the scorch marks !! Maybe they don't look so good in real life, but on those pics it makes them look quite 'Warry'
06-06-2012, 05:45 AM,
I've received Kursk and the scorchmarks are there too, primarily on the rear of the counters. I suspect the scorch we see is smoke from the burning through of the cardboard. Not terribly bad and less visible when punched from the sprue (as Dr. B has said) and invisible on darker background colors, like the scads of Soviet Guards units. The feel of the counter is different, and because it is not punched the decal can actually be quite close to the edge of the counter with no info whatsoever lost.

I'm satisfied with them, but this will probably be an ongoing matter of discussion for aesthetic reasons. I actually think the images of the artillery and armour is sharper when done on this material. The feel of the counters is almost like plastic, due to the cardboard not having been crunched by the die-cutter.Smile