Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[PG-HQ Dev Blog] 2012 September Update
09-01-2012, 08:27 AM,
[PG-HQ Dev Blog] 2012 September Update
(link to previous month's blog)

Done Last Month:

August ended up being dominated by work on formations. I explained a bit in the Is PG HQ falling behind? thread. A quick scan of Peter's work shows he's bagged around 600 formations and is steadily pushing ahead.

We spent a lot of time in August discussing how best to organize the formations in the Library. It's not as straightforward as one would assume. Some formations have multiple names, some formations had multiple parent formations, there were special, one-off operational groups... all of that combines to make relationships that are easy for a human to track but less so for a computer.

Panzer Lehr and Patton's Nightmare have been added to the Library... a little. Their scenarios remain to be inputted. We'll keep you posted on the progress there.

Current Major Project: Library Upgrade

Same ol' shit around here. This task has actually grown a bit because Peter's formation work has created the need for a formation Library page as well.

September will be an interesting month in terms of site development. In a few days I will fly to Chicago for a conference, and then will spend the entire rest of the month bouncing around various sites in NA. My development tools are all replicated on my laptop, so I'll be able to work on the road. I have no idea how much that will be though. Possibly huge amounts of progress, possibly none. Hopefully the former!

Special Announcement: New Contributor!

tlangston28, aka Tony, has stepped up to help code the site. For the first time since launch I have someone actively hacking along with me. Tony is getting up to speed on the code base, and will initially be knocking down some low-hanging fruit like adding comments to articles. I'm very excited about having an extra pair of hands at the keyboard, particularly since the amount of time I can allocate for development continues to shrink.

Please welcome him aboard!
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
09-01-2012, 10:40 AM,
RE: [PG-HQ Dev Blog] 2012 September Update
Hey what do you guys code in?

I program in java, javascript and jsp. I was raised on C and C++, and I know database programming (mostly SQL server stuff) I can't make a lot of promises but thought I put that out there.
09-01-2012, 01:17 PM,
(09-01-2012, 10:40 AM)zovs Wrote: Hey what do you guys code in?

I program in java, javascript and jsp. I was raised on C and C++, and I know database programming (mostly SQL server stuff) I can't make a lot of promises but thought I put that out there.

99% PHP & MySQL, 1% javascript

You're not the only member who has programming experience. The problem is, as you indirectly touched on, committment. It makes no sense for me to invest time getting someone into the codebase if they're not serious about making a contribution. Half-hearted queries just aren't worth my time. Please don't take that personally!

I know Tony's not going to be as involved as I am, but he has already begun working on our of our site components and I expect he'll have a steady positive influence on our progress.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
09-14-2012, 01:42 PM,
It's barely, but the German unresolved/inactive formations are under 200!
09-16-2012, 01:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-16-2012, 01:25 PM by plloyd1010.)
Now under 100. I'll soon hit a practical stop point and start with someone else. Probably the British.
09-23-2012, 02:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-23-2012, 02:08 PM by plloyd1010.)
British are done. They weren't as bad as I expected.
Finns are done. They were rather confusing.
Australians are next.

Drew, how is the rest of database coming?