Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to start in 2022?
05-26-2022, 05:38 AM,
Question  Where to start in 2022?
Hi guys,

I want to start in PG, I have some other tactical games but I am interested in trying this one.

I've read several posts talking about Army at Dawn, Elsenborn Ridge, or Fall of France as the best intro to the game, but these threads are old.

On the other hand, I have a chance to get the Eastern front (1st ed) and Bulge modules for a good price, that's a lot of scenarios, but is it worth it today? Can they be played with the latest edition of rules?

Thanks in advance,
jordi
05-26-2022, 06:09 AM,
RE: Where to start in 2022?
Dear Jordi.

I was in your shoes in recents years and found that 1940: Fall of France and An Army at Dawn were very good choices for PG beginners trying to learn the system under 4th Edition (latest) rules. Others I play the game with online, have had good luck with Invasion 1944 and the venerable, long-out-of-print: Desert Rats and Africa Korps. These last two, require some patience as they were designed with earlier rule editions, that one must adapt the latest rule set to.

IMHO, the very best way to learn the game is in shared play with a mentor, either online, or in-person.

Happy gaming and welcome,

Felipe "treadasaurusrex" Jacome
goosebrown likes this post
05-26-2022, 08:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-26-2022, 08:29 AM by goosebrown.)
I highly recommend the Mentor Track in the Academy. Welcome BTW, hope you enjoy as much as we do. 

For first game, it depends on what you like. Eastern Front is great, but it is an early game and the maps are not as good as AAAD or FoF for sure. I hear people also like Parachutes over Crete as a good starter because it is primarily infantry and at it's heart PG showcases infantry well. 

I started with AK and Desert Rats, but from here on out I will only be buying the later style games with the new art and the isomorphic boards. 

If you get going in the Academy, let us know when you are available to start playing we will keep you interested.
treadasaurusrex likes this post

User Experience begins with You...
Always looking for people to play PzGdr, Napoleonic Games, and Great War at Sea
(the Vassal for GWAS Mediterranean specifically).
05-26-2022, 10:02 AM,
I suggest Elsenborn Ridge as an intro game. The rational being that it has fewer game special rules and fairly simple terrain. Next I would looks at the east front games, starting with Broken Axis. Again there is less odd terrain and special rules.

Fall of France is the best single game being published at the moment. With it there are a lot of special rules and the terrain is more complicated, the shadows in the art work doesn't help either. The older games are interesting, but the 4th edition rules can be a problem.

Like Felipe said earlier, shared play is the best to learn. There is a Vassal option. You should look into it.
joe_oppenheimer likes this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
05-26-2022, 04:43 PM,
Welcome, always looking for fresh mea//// opponents, so jump on in and enjoy.

Personally I started with Fire in the Steppe.... lots of simple scenarios, and big ones too...
armies are very different, so you have to learn how to use the strengths and avoid the weaknesses inherent to their make up/level of organization/training.

VASSAL is the way.....
Fall of France is lots of fun as well....
05-26-2022, 06:21 PM,
Wow, thanks guys for all your recommendations.

I will definitely try vassal and in the physical world, I'll see, there are many options, maybe too many:
- Elsenborn Ridge
- Fall of France
- Fire in the Steppe
- Army at Dawn
- Invasion 1944
- Parachutes over Crete
- Desert Rats
- Africa Korps
- Eastern Front
- Broken Axis

But the important thing is to start, right?
goosebrown, treadasaurusrex, cjsiam like this post
05-27-2022, 12:29 AM,
I think Eastern Front Deluxe and Battle of the Bulge are not getting the respect they deserve in this thread so far. Those are landmark titles in the series. Both would be great options for the solo player who can enjoy the entire scenario by playing both sides at once. Both have a nice mix of smaller and larger scenarios. All of the newer games mentioned can be played against some of these charming lads over VASSAL using their copies if they're kind enough to invite you and set up the scenario for you.

The two biggest knocks against EFDx and BotB from someone who likes them (me!) are:
  1. the poor morale of early war Soviet formations can be very frustrating. You don't get many officers and they're all a bit shit. Also the Romanians are basically tissue paper.
  2. the heavy forests of the Bulge maps prevent the late war AFVs from really showing off their abilities, but this is of course reasonable. If you want long-distance tank battles and aggressive maneuvering you need to go to late war EF or North Africa.
If you can get copies of EFDx and Bulge at low prices in good condition, do so. I'll protect you from these PG young-uns with my cane Tongue
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
05-27-2022, 12:42 AM,
(05-26-2022, 06:21 PM)pixatintes Wrote: But the important thing is to start, right?
Right, even if you start with one of the demo games. I recommend Elsenborn Ridge, Broken Axis, Fire in the Steppe, Invasion 1944 or Fall of France, in that order. I am sure you can learn the PG system with any game, I just think it's best start with minimum weirdness. (On the other hand, I don't think big tanks are much fun either.)

The Vassal Academy and mentoring have been mentioned. Regrettably, it is a necessary pitb until APL says otherwise. There you either play 2 full scenarios (Self-play), play the mentoring scenarios (self-study), or get a mentor and play the mentoring scenarios. For us, self-play is the easiest mentoring takes more time. There is no rule that says you need to play your scenarios alone. Self-play and self-study scenario plays may be done with someone else. Mentoring path is obviously done with someone else. If you are ready to jump in, I suggest get a game, find an online opponent who doesn't sacrifice virgins, and go the self play path.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
05-27-2022, 02:35 AM,
Peter is right.
Ready to play when you are, Jordi.
05-27-2022, 02:57 AM,
If you are anxious to start. The demo games and mentoring scenarios have full scenario information with them. Keep in mind the the mentoring scenarios are 6 mini scenarios. Otherwise an in stock game takes about a week to arrive.
goosebrown and cjsiam like this post