Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Really big OBA.
08-30-2012, 09:29 AM,
Really big OBA.
Toward the end of WW2 the Soviets put together some humungus artillery parks for making preliminary bombardments. If I recall correctly one scenario in Tank Battles allows you a dozen katushya platoons on the board!

Has anyone tried creating an OGRE scenario for PG? One side has an excellent mechanized force and tries to cross the board against the biggest on and off board artillery obstacle anyone has ever seen. Provided you have spotters on the ground, or in the air, the defender might not even need any forces on the board. Some of the Grossdeutchland 46 scenarios approach this level of lethality, but it might be fun to design some "March to Valhalla" situations.
08-30-2012, 09:59 AM,
RE: Really big OBA.
(08-30-2012, 09:29 AM)larry marak Wrote: Has anyone tried creating an OGRE scenario for PG?

?
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
08-30-2012, 10:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-30-2012, 10:21 AM by Hugmenot.)
War of the Worlds maybe?

http://www.pg-hq.com/library.php?type=game&id=WotW
08-30-2012, 10:45 AM,
(08-30-2012, 10:21 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: War of the Worlds maybe?

http://www.pg-hq.com/library.php?type=game&id=WotW

No, there isn't in that scenario.

I guess, my questions is why play PG with just OBA one side? if that's the case I would just use the old nuclear bomb trick. But it would be the last battle for that game.
08-30-2012, 10:51 AM,
(08-30-2012, 09:29 AM)larry marak Wrote: Has anyone tried creating an OGRE scenario for PG? One side has an excellent mechanized force and tries to cross the board against the biggest on and off board artillery obstacle anyone has ever seen.

Ever seen Sc #29 in BN?

1. Before play, Brit => 10x55-col bombardments on any hexes of choice AND
2. "pre-planned" support for seven turns AND
3. regular OBA AND
4. naval gunfire (including poss 6x28 + 1x60).
08-30-2012, 11:14 AM,
Dr. B. has expressed his distates for 'generic" scenarios from early on in the development of the system. Vol. 1, Panzer Grenadier, had a system for creating 2 generic scenarios with point values for units in that game, as well as purchasing morale levels. This was probably included to help PG fill the vacancy created by the loss of PB/PL. No effort was made to produce purchase values for new units in the system once PG started selling like hotcakes. The PG system is an instrument for recreating historical situations, and we all have benefited from that, but there's no need not to produce generic situations as a test of skill and creativity. In an "Ogre" type scenario the Ogre is the artillery park and its spotters, and the mobile force is the attacker. We already have the instruments to create such a scenario through the C&C style force structures published in Cassino, C&C 1&2, Winter Soldiers, and Panzer Lehr.
08-30-2012, 01:25 PM,
Infantry Attacks has pre-plotted OBA as well as Drumfire (continuous bombardment of a hex). Makes for a good wall vs. infantry...
08-30-2012, 01:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-30-2012, 01:48 PM by larry marak.)
What got me going on an "Ogre" series of scenarios was playing several scenarios from Metal Gods, the ATS Ponryi scenario set. Not only does the German assault force have to battle through a fortified zone, but there are defensive box "packages" that the Soviet player can set up freely after his and the Germans set up. This seems to recreate quite effectively the problem of attacking into the unknown. The attacker has to improvise against absolutely incredible obstacles. Great Fun.
08-30-2012, 10:49 PM,
(08-30-2012, 09:29 AM)larry marak Wrote: Toward the end of WW2 the Soviets put together some humungus artillery parks for making preliminary bombardments. If I recall correctly one scenario in Tank Battles allows you a dozen katushya platoons on the board!

Do you mean Mars 8: To the Highway? There are 3. I don't remember more than 3 in any scenario. They made a big kaboom, when they all hit together.Cool
I had the Russians in that scenario.
08-30-2012, 11:21 PM,
Mars 10 uses a dozen BM-13's, Mars 11 uses 6 BM-13's. Really Big on board artillery. The way you put together this many BM-13s (if I recall correctly East Front, Red Warriors/Heros and Kursk give you 9) is to buy lots of extra copies of Red Warriors when on sale (like today) and take an extra Gold Club 20% off.