Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A bridge be side the river?
04-10-2022, 03:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-10-2022, 11:04 PM by plloyd1010.)
A bridge be side the river?
In the north-west corner of the Blitzkrieg are boards 119, 121 & 125. A river runs the length of the boards as does a road, from hexes 0701 to 0717. The curiosity is that half a bridge seems to terminate each road and is drawn parallel to the river. To further complicate things, on boards 119 & 121 a path also meets the river at that peculiar bridge. What is going on here and how should it be handled in game terms?

I and my Desert Dragon opponent have agreed on this approach, provided there is not an alternate consensus. If the road and river switch relative positions, the bridge is a normal bridge. Of course it is on a hexside and we will need to deal with that problem. If the river and road do not switch positions there is no bridge, unless there a path on the opposite side. In that case, there is a foot bridge connecting the path to the road.
treadasaurusrex and NBGB like this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
04-10-2022, 10:52 PM,
RE: A bridge beside the river?
I pulled out my maps and took a look.  The images on the site were helpful, but I needed to see it closely.  I think I would consider this a 2 hex bridge if the boards are end to end.  This makes the most sense to me as you can then enter and exit via road or trail normally. The trail reverts to bridge movement during this span. Movement would be prohibited along the span of the bridge on either side.  For bridge control you need both hexes.  Crossing these hexes if this is a board edge hex is treated as a river crossing.

I was thinking of those bridges you drive on that go over areas where there is only a portion of the crossing over actual water.
04-10-2022, 11:33 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-10-2022, 11:34 PM by plloyd1010.)
RE: A bridge be side the river?
I don't think I follow that response. Maybe my opening post does not convey the problem.

Is this a bridge?

If it is, a bridge over what? And why? We are are concluding that it is not a bridge, but there is a footbridge to the trail in 0717.
treadasaurusrex likes this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
04-11-2022, 08:50 AM,
This indeed needs explanation.
When I draw new mapboards including a river, I prefer to have roads/trails on both banks of the river connected with a mirror hex on the adjacent board. Thus, no bridge in hexes 0701 and 0717.
However, Avalanche has decided to change this by putting a bridge in every end hex of every river board with just one road going through. This particular change leads to strange situations like the one you’ve noticed. So, following their standard way of drawing river maps, each end hex has a road going over ONE bridge and any other trail/road depiction in these hexes is simply connected to that road.
Hope this helps.
04-11-2022, 11:57 PM,
We are are concluding that it is not a bridge, but there is a footbridge to the trail in 0717

This is how I interpreted such situations when developing scenarios.

There are times I wished rivers were placed on hexsides but that would force river boards to be connected with the same alignment.
04-12-2022, 01:40 AM,
(04-11-2022, 11:57 PM)Hugmenot Wrote: We are are concluding that it is not a bridge, but there is a footbridge to the trail in 0717
That seems to be how it is going. It looks to be Philippe's intention too.

(04-11-2022, 11:57 PM)Hugmenot Wrote: There are times I wished rivers were placed on hexsides but that would force river boards to be connected with the same alignment.
Me too. It would solve a lot of the ambiguity while "in the river".