Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Rules] Opportunity Fire vs. Direct Fire
04-06-2022, 11:22 AM,
Opportunity Fire vs. Direct Fire
Working through the mechanics of the game, I am struck by the (apparent) inconsistency that units activated for a fire action can engage only once with Direct Fire, Anti-Tank Fire, or Bombardment, but if activated for Opportunity Fire may make two fire actions (disregarding some units may have Armor Efficiency.)

What is the logic of this?  

PzIVF2
04-06-2022, 11:58 AM,
RE: Opportunity Fire vs. Direct Fire
Don't know about the "real world" logic behind it, but in game turns Opportunity Fire affects only the unit moving, whereas Direct Fire affects all units in the hex.  So, allowing two Opportunity Fires makes its effect more equal to Direct Fire.
04-06-2022, 12:57 PM,
The first point to keep in mind is that units move individually, though a leader may move with a personnel unit or on a transport. Now, opportunity fire is against an individual unit where as direct fire and bombardment fire are against everything in the hex.

Anti-tank fire is always against individual vehicles. Unless the firer is efficient, there is only one AT shot allowed in opportunity fire.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
04-07-2022, 04:09 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-07-2022, 08:01 AM by saracv3.)
Also, OF does not activate the firing unit, and the firing unit gets a +1 modifier on up to 2 moving units (morale check an adjoining leader if M[#] is rolled). Of course, OF is against one moving unit at a time. Note in 13.1 that the OFunit may not activate in the same turn in which t fires, but can perform a 2nd shot if capable.

I do believe that OF is the weak link of the PG system. It is not a remedy for the problem of ‘I go, U go”, but this discussion is foranother thread.
04-07-2022, 04:17 AM,
Quote:... the firing unit gets a +1 modifier on up to 2 moving units ...
That modifier is only against personnel units moving and the firer is using direct fire. Anti-tank OP fire has a -1 modifier.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
04-07-2022, 08:06 AM,
Thank you, Peter. I stand corrected.
treadasaurusrex likes this post
04-07-2022, 02:12 PM,
Gentlemen:  Thank you for your insights.  Most helpful!
treadasaurusrex likes this post