Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split from DIY Counters] zovs - "What to start with in PG?"
08-30-2012, 01:54 AM,
RE: [split from DIY Counters] zovs - "What to start with in PG?"
(08-30-2012, 01:19 AM)Hugmenot Wrote:
(08-30-2012, 01:02 AM)larry marak Wrote: Figured I'd point out that if you are buying scenario books, Invasion of Germany is a reprint of the 5 Perryman comb bound books covering actions before and around the time of the Bulge battles. The only Western front 44 book not incorporated into that compilation is North of Elsenborn.
Although the AP description of the product does not list North of Elsenborn, its scenarios are included in Invasion of Germany.

For example, Scenario #2 from North of Elsenborn is scenario #4 of Invasion of Germany.

Is it North Wind I'm remembering Hugomont?
08-30-2012, 01:58 AM,
Its not Hugomont....although I kept thinking it was until yesterday. Its "Hug Me Not." I guess he's not feeling the love. Smile
08-30-2012, 01:58 AM,
BTW, I have a spare (unpunched) copy of Desert Rats sitting around that I'd be willing to sell for $35 plus postage if you want to start your desert collection that way.
08-30-2012, 02:08 AM,
RE: DYI Counters
(08-29-2012, 01:43 PM)Shad Wrote:
(08-29-2012, 01:32 PM)zovs Wrote: Okay, so this is from APL web site, the Print and Play that they list here are not die cut counters or are they?

Print and Play (AP)

And this one does not list counters but is a print edition?

What is this?

Also, would it be worth the $35 to become a Gold Member?

If it has (download) after it then you're just getting a PDF. It's up to you to make that into a real boy, err, real game.

Re:2nd link, print edition means you'll get it on paper, probably one of those plastic toothed bindings but I don't own a copy so can't verify. There are no counters for Army Group South Ukraine as PG-HQ's Library makes clear.

To me Gold Club Membership appears to be (I phrase thus because I have never enrolled) a shameless scam to take advantage of people with too much disposable income, but there are members among us who seem to enjoy it. I look forward to their passionate defenses.

Andrew, I don't have much disposable income but I found two things that keep me coming back to the Gold Club: One I buy everything PG, boxed games and supplements which save me 20% on every purchase and Two, the advance option to know about and buy new releases before hand.

This is the first time in years that I actually had to renew it and with all the new PG items in the pipe-line it will pay-off for me. I usually only buy the PG series from AP and I still find a lot of value in it but for you guys who buy more than one series from AP, it has to be of even greater value.
08-30-2012, 06:08 AM,
(08-29-2012, 10:02 PM)zovs Wrote: Shad,

Yeah I just found that PDF, thanks its looks excellent.

I'll print this off as well.

Vince,

I get what your saying, switching between games has never been that much of an issue to me, of course we are talking about tactical games, but to me the bigger mix up would be in comparing PB/PL to PG or the old SPI series, but I do get what your meaning as far as ASL vs. PG rules mix goes.

I so think that VASSAL would work wonders for this system, you don't know how many fellows I got started on VASL using either basic ASL SK scenarios or the famous Guards Counterattack for ASL on VASL with or with out Skype.

I saw that they had a SunTzu module but VASSAL is really the way to go if you go cardboard to electronics.

Anyway I'll grab the Advanced Rules here and print them up. Payday is looming and my next diliema and question to you all is:

Should I get:

1. Eastern Front Deluxe (42.00)
2. Eastern Front Deluxe (42.00) and Berlin (42.00)
3. Both Afrika Korps & Desert Rats (both 39.00 or 80.00 total at AP on sale)
4. The Battle of the Bulge (39.00 on sale at AP).
5. Both 2 and 3 (I'd love to do this but think its too much $$$ for now).

I am leaning towards number 2 and picking up a few of the $5-20 scenario add on's and Blue Division thing that is on sale this weekend.

I think this payday my max spending on AP stuff would be about 80 or so to start with.

Thoughts?

I started with the download demo, actually assembled and played it, then went out and bought Elsenborn Ridge with the Winter Wonderland maps. That seemed to me to be the ideal place to start. You get U.S. Army and Airborne, German Army, Luftwaffe and SS units. I then got Desert Rats, EFDx and now Bulge, All which feature heavily in the supplements plus it gives me a mix for all theaters (other than the pacific).
08-30-2012, 06:17 AM,
(08-30-2012, 06:08 AM)tlangston28 Wrote: I started with the download demo, actually assembled and played it, then went out and bought Elsenborn Ridge with the Winter Wonderland maps. That seemed to me to be the ideal place to start. You get U.S. Army and Airborne, German Army, Luftwaffe and SS units. I then got Desert Rats, EFDx and now Bulge, All which feature heavily in the supplements plus it gives me a mix for all theaters (other than the pacific).
Elsenborn Ridge and Battle of the Bulge are all you need for Winter Soldiers, one of my favorite supplements. Lots of small scenarios of the right size for Skype.

An even better purchase considering you already own the winter maps!
08-30-2012, 06:34 AM,
(08-30-2012, 01:58 AM)J6A Wrote: Its not Hugomont....although I kept thinking it was until yesterday. Its "Hug Me Not." I guess he's not feeling the love. Smile
Correct, it is Hug Me Not.

My future mother-in-law took all of 15 minutes to determine I was not a very warm person. I could have saved her 14 minutes and 54 seconds had she asked me directly.
08-30-2012, 07:10 AM,
Hugmenot, how could you be so cold to your future mother-in-law?
08-30-2012, 08:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-30-2012, 08:11 AM by Hugmenot.)
That was 10 years ago. Her status changed from future mother-in-law to mother-in-law shortly thereafter and remains the same to this day.

Her opinion has evolved and she now prefers to describe me as "too practical and pragmatic" rather than "not very warm". See my Skype screen name if you want to know how her description has affected me.
08-30-2012, 01:27 PM,
(08-30-2012, 06:17 AM)Hugmenot Wrote:
(08-30-2012, 06:08 AM)tlangston28 Wrote: I started with the download demo, actually assembled and played it, then went out and bought Elsenborn Ridge with the Winter Wonderland maps. That seemed to me to be the ideal place to start. You get U.S. Army and Airborne, German Army, Luftwaffe and SS units. I then got Desert Rats, EFDx and now Bulge, All which feature heavily in the supplements plus it gives me a mix for all theaters (other than the pacific).
Elsenborn Ridge and Battle of the Bulge are all you need for Winter Soldiers, one of my favorite supplements. Lots of small scenarios of the right size for Skype.

An even better purchase considering you already own the winter maps!

I actually bought that one as part of one of APs sales - bought it along with Invasion of Germany, Sinister Forces and South Africa's War - in fact, I will playing a skype game of W.S. #19 on Friday.