Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split from DIY Counters] zovs - "What to start with in PG?"
08-29-2012, 10:20 PM,
RE: DYI Counters
Quote:I am leaning towards number 2 and picking up a few of the $5-20 scenario add on's and Blue Division thing that is on sale this weekend.

Given your choices, number 2 gives you the base for the Eastern Front. RtB is the better of the two games regarding scenarios, but you will need EFD sooner rather than later for counters and maps. Scenarios are ok.
08-29-2012, 11:32 PM,
RE: [split from DIY Counters] zovs - "What to start with in PG?"
And of course, if you want Rumanians for the 3 pdf-able scenario books set in the Rumanian campaign, you need East Front Deluxe, the only source (today) of Rumanian counters.
08-29-2012, 11:41 PM,
Don,

I responded to your "Introduce Yourself" item as well. If you are capable of DIY (I freely admit a failing in this area), you might want to add the pdf version of War on the Equator. As an introductory product it works well, the scenarios are widely varying, generally interesting and closely fought and its darn cheap.
No "minor" country left behind...
08-30-2012, 12:04 AM,
Elsenborne Ridge or Fall of France would be my choices for starter games. Both are fairly well developed, fewer errors, and clearer maps. Elsenborne Ridge has few special rules.
08-30-2012, 12:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-30-2012, 12:57 AM by Shad.)
You may want to consider getting Battle of the Bulge II: Elsenborn Ridge ($29.99) and either Fall of France ($39.99), Road to Berlin ($42.99) or Eastern Front Deluxe ($42.99).

Elsenborn Ridge is a great entry game as its scenarios are shorter and includes less units than the average PG game. One thing not to be dismissed is that most of its scenarios can each be played face-to-face in one evening session, maybe an interesting option for you and your son.

Fall of France include a good variety of scenarios. The maps contain more terrain features than other games and that can be a plus or minus depending on your perspective. There are two downsides to keep in mind: (1) many scenarios include special rules to ignore hills on board X or other changes like that (not a big deal to me), and (2) it does not open nearly as many doors to scenarios supplements as Eastern Front Deluxe and Road to Berlin.

I prefer Road to Berlin to Eastern Front Deluxe but that is just a preference.

Another option is to just get Elsenborn Ridge at this time and later purchase Kursk: South Flank from AP if you like the system and want to try an armor-heavy game. Don't be fooled by the high average number of units per game, K-SF contains many scenarios which can be played in one evening session.
08-30-2012, 01:02 AM,
Figured I'd point out that if you are buying scenario books, Invasion of Germany is a reprint of the 5 Perryman comb bound books covering actions before and around the time of the Bulge battles. The only Western front 44 book not incorporated into that compilation is North of Elsenborn.
08-30-2012, 01:09 AM,
(08-30-2012, 01:02 AM)larry marak Wrote: The only Western front 44 book not incorporated into that compilation is North of Elsenborn.

Is that right !

I have all the downloads, not the book, and NoE has some pretty natty scenarios. Thats a strange omission ?
08-30-2012, 01:19 AM,
(08-30-2012, 01:02 AM)larry marak Wrote: Figured I'd point out that if you are buying scenario books, Invasion of Germany is a reprint of the 5 Perryman comb bound books covering actions before and around the time of the Bulge battles. The only Western front 44 book not incorporated into that compilation is North of Elsenborn.
Although the AP description of the product does not list North of Elsenborn, its scenarios are included in Invasion of Germany.

For example, Scenario #2 from North of Elsenborn is scenario #4 of Invasion of Germany.
08-30-2012, 01:31 AM,
Answering Shad's gauntlet, a Gold Club membership allows you to purchase all 44 games and supplements on sale today for 40% off for an additional 20% off of that (mathematically 40% off becomes 52% off). Plus anything you want is 20% off all the time and Gold Club advance orders (gamespeak for limited pre-order fundraising) will give you at least 30% off of brand new items.

The annual will be out very shortly. Mostly expansion material and counters for They Shall Not Pass if I recall correctly.
08-30-2012, 01:43 AM,
To Larry and Shads point, if you are new to the series or need to "catchup" with supplements the Gold Club is a good option. if you spend more than $175 per year with APL you will be ahead on the $35 price plus all the scenarios for a lifetime or two. If you already have most of the games that you want or the shipping kills and ordering direct and it is easier to get local or ebay, then maybe not for you.