Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
limbered units and digging in
02-08-2022, 06:38 AM,
limbered units and digging in
Can limbered units dig in?  Does limbering remove dug in status?  Any distinction for "mobile" limbered units such as mortars?
02-08-2022, 06:51 AM,
RE: limbered units and digging in
Yes.
Never thought of it, but I would say no.
And no.
t1M0t8yk and treadasaurusrex like this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
02-08-2022, 07:02 PM,
Well as much as I hate disagreeing with Peter, I would say no limbered units can't dig in, however the rules do not mention it. Why would an limbered gun dig in anyway as it would still take a turn to unlimber. I think limbering does remove dug in status as it a movement activation and the troops are moving around preparing to advance/retreat etc. Once again the rules do not make the distinction.
treadasaurusrex and joe_oppenheimer like this post
02-08-2022, 11:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-08-2022, 11:59 PM by Schoenwulf.)
It seems to depend on what one's view of "digging in" means, i.e. if it merely means a protected position or if it literally means digging in. My sense has always been that the unit or weapon could be sandbagged, have an abatis, or other means of surface protection that would allow retreat as needed. Rather than list all the individual options, perhaps the designer or editor uses the single term "digging in" to cover them all.
02-09-2022, 06:58 AM,
(02-08-2022, 07:02 PM)waynebaumber Wrote: Well as much as I hate disagreeing with Peter, I would say no limbered units can't dig in, however the rules do not mention it. Why would an limbered gun dig in anyway as it would still take a turn to unlimber. I think limbering does remove dug in status as it a movement activation and the troops are moving around preparing to advance/retreat etc. Once again the rules do not make the distinction.

In scenarios where the schwerpunkt is uncertain maintaining mortars in their limbered state gives them a jump on relocating more quickly.
02-10-2022, 12:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-10-2022, 12:43 AM by waynebaumber.)
But then you can not fire them, decisions decisions.
cjsiam and treadasaurusrex like this post