Poll: What keeps you from playing a scenario the most?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Don't own the game.
22.50%
9 22.50%
Subject not interesting.
7.50%
3 7.50%
Too large (Maps/Counters/Turns)
30.00%
12 30.00%
No Time.
30.00%
12 30.00%
Just a collector of games.
2.50%
1 2.50%
Other, please comment?
7.50%
3 7.50%
Total 40 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unplayed scenarios in PG are the sadist thing!
01-16-2022, 04:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-16-2022, 04:32 AM by JayTownsend.)
Unplayed scenarios in PG are the sadist thing!
So many scenarios go un-played. I am not talking about new games, as it takes players awhile to get to them but older games, that sit for years without many scenarios getting played. 1967: Sword of Israel for example. I thought by now every scenario would have been played. I played 9 of the scenarios and thought they were fun and a good break from WWII. I realize some supplements don't get played because they are not everyone's bag of tea. 

I won't play scenarios that have more than 4 maps, a few times I tired 6 maps but I have no space for them. Some scenarios I am just not interested in.

Land Battleships for example has two scenarios, one with 6 maps and one with 8 maps, so I doubt I ever play either of them. 

Sometimes it just the subject that keeps a scenario from being played. Not for me, I like all theaters of operations and all subjects but WWI isn't really big on my interest list for some reason.
01-16-2022, 05:23 AM,
RE: Unplayed scenarios in PG are the sadist thing!
My reasons fall into no time or not owning the game. I own most of them, so time is the biggest issue.
treadasaurusrex likes this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
01-16-2022, 05:32 AM,
We certainly have different definitions of older games when you are referring to SOI and here I am slowly but surely wrapping up AK Winking .

I'lll play em all if I live long enough. Physical play for me tends to be limited to 4 card maps or 1 paper map, so Vassal has opened up a lot of scenarios that otherwise had to wait for "someday". (Though AK multi map scenarios join at the roads, which arent the center point so multimapping on Vassal isnt really supported there).

I have to imagine when talking about the ancient modules that still have unplayed scenarios, they were played at some point but long before PG HQ existed. But it sure makes me feel important to knock "unplayed" scenarios off the list when I get to them. Tongue
01-19-2022, 02:15 AM,
I often avoid tiny (< 40 counters) scenarios because I find them less interesting.

I am more likely to skip a fixed point defense scenario than one featuring manoeuvers.
01-19-2022, 03:29 AM,
I've been trying to pick up the Variant Panthers ones. They are fun but slow to play due to the multi-map setup and large numbers of counters. Just plugging away and interesting to compare outcomes with the original Kursk scenarios.
goosebrown likes this post
01-22-2022, 02:23 PM,
"Don't own the game" is the obvious answer since like most I have only a subset of the countless scenarios AVP has published. A more nuanced reason for me is size. I haven't pinned down my sweet spot, but >100 counters and >20 turns seems not to be there. I must remind myself that nothing is compelling me to play every single scenario. Far better to say I've played the ones I'd expect to enjoy.
treadasaurusrex and Snaekolf like this post
03-04-2022, 04:16 AM,
So many choices mean: "Gotta have armor" to be considered.  Preferably large scenarios, but smaller ones that look interesting also get played.  The British, are always fun with their Motley assortment of vehicles available.
treadasaurusrex likes this post
04-06-2022, 11:00 PM,
Just the opposite of many, I have limited space, 1 or 2 boards at most for the time being. I have set up several scenarios with only 1 board but a large number of counters, and since I play mostly solo, if it takes too long to set up, I feel I will never have time to play it out, so a close second would be counter density. This has been a big issue with Sword of Israel for me. With opening my eyes to VASSAL now, I may change that in the future, but that will take some time to get those games played.
NBGB, treadasaurusrex, joe_oppenheimer like this post
"Kill them all, let God sort them out."