Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[New Features] musings on photo support
06-05-2012, 12:57 PM,
Lightbulb  [New Features] musings on photo support
I've spent the better part of my morning looking at my options for adding photo support to Panzer Grenadier Headquarters.

The two main paths are:
  1. bolt-on a mature, exhaustive photo gallery site
  2. craft a minimalist, custom implementation
The first option gets us up and running quicker, but has a huge amount of overhead and will introduce a great deal of features that we frankly don't need.

The second option is slower since I'd be writing it myself, but has the advantage of being built from the ground-up to suit our site.

Currently I'm leaning towards the second option.

In my mind our photo needs are very simple:
  1. each user has their own gallery
  2. galleries can be organized into sub-folders (BGG can't do this and I hate it)
  3. photos can be easily added to AARs
  4. (possible bonus feature) photos can be tagged with subjects (ex: "Road to Berlin") and automatically placed into that item's gallery
I don't think people need to be able to crop photos, or rate photos, or add overlay text and whatnot - all features that are standard in the big packages.

The implementation I'm visualizing goes like this:

My PG-HQ - we add a new tab "My Gallery" wherein you can upload whatever you want. Images are automatically resized to fit PG-HQ's dimensions, but originals are saved for click-through viewing at full size. You can organize your gallery however you please with subfolders. Other members can browse your gallery via your profile page.

AAR Editor - we add an image sidebar full of your image thumbnails. Clicking an image adds it to your AAR.

That's it. Super simple, but satisfies basic requirements.

Comments?
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
06-05-2012, 06:08 PM,
RE: [New Features] musings on photo support
¡Hola amigo!

OK.

When will be this system available?
La guerra è bella, ma incomoda.
06-05-2012, 06:17 PM,
(06-05-2012, 06:08 PM)enrique Wrote: When will be this system available?

2 weeks... 2 months?

Hard to say, my friend.

I'm just one guy with a 60 hour a week job, a wife, and a one year old grenadier at home.

It depends on the "real" world... Rolleyes
06-06-2012, 04:15 AM,
I prefer option 2 but all I need is to add pictures to AARs and forum posts.

Having my own gallery and being able to organize it into sub-folders is a nice-to-have feature, but not a need from my perspective.

Thank you Shad!
06-07-2012, 06:13 AM,
I agree with Hugmenot.

And Shad, it sounds like you're spread as thin as the last dab of peanut butter. Could I suggest that you add this to your "eventually" list?
06-07-2012, 07:21 AM,
Thank for your the kindness, PT. I assure you I don't work on PG-HQ such that I neglect my real-world responsibilities. I just plod along doing what I can when I can. :-)
06-14-2012, 03:15 PM,
Just photos for AARs like in the old Daily Content days would suit me fine. An app for Android so I can send the photos straight from my smartphone would be superb, but that's probably asking too much ;-)
06-14-2012, 03:19 PM,
(06-14-2012, 03:15 PM)upintheattic Wrote: Just photos for AARs like in the old Daily Content days would suit me fine. An app for Android so I can send the photos straight from my smartphone would be superb, but that's probably asking too much ;-)

I always try to code PG-HQ as simply as possible, and right now it runs pretty well on Android browsers... although hitting certain links can be a pain.

I find long text entry extremely tedious on my Galaxy S2 though. Would you really want to file an AAR via mobile? Sounds sadomasochistic to me! Dodgy
06-14-2012, 05:04 PM,
(06-14-2012, 03:19 PM)Shad Wrote:
(06-14-2012, 03:15 PM)upintheattic Wrote: Just photos for AARs like in the old Daily Content days would suit me fine. An app for Android so I can send the photos straight from my smartphone would be superb, but that's probably asking too much ;-)

Would you really want to file an AAR via mobile? Sounds sadomasochistic to me! Dodgy

Not the whole AAR. Just snap photos of the board and post them directly to PG-HQ like the Facebook app for Android does.
06-14-2012, 05:12 PM,
(06-14-2012, 05:04 PM)upintheattic Wrote: Not the whole AAR. Just snap photos of the board and post them directly to PG-HQ like the Facebook app for Android does.

Hmm. I don't code for mobile platforms and I haven't the time to learn.

A compromise would be setting up an "Email to my Gallery" function, wherein you could take your photo then immediately share it, emailing some_special_address@pg-hq.com with the photo attached.

The address would be configured to catch the attachment, recognize the origin address, and then toss it directly into your gallery.

That's all pretty painless to code.

Definitely a feature for the long-term rainy day wishlist though, considering how few people would actually use it...