Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rules Arbitration
10-14-2021, 12:37 AM,
Rules Arbitration
PG is a very good game system but the rules have some holes here and there.  And after 20+ years, this really should not be so.

What PG needs is an official rules arbitrator who could make the final decision on rules issues.  These could be collated and kept in a document on the AP site on the Daily Content maybe, and also here on PG-HQ.

Multiman Publications does this for ASL and Perry Cocke, a principle at MMP, answers the questions and they are collated into a the "Perry Sez."  This is extremely helpful in playing the game.  PG needs this too.

So, who should do this?  Should it be Dr. B?  I suspect he would be too busy with running AP to do this.  Should one of us volunteer and then ask AP if we could do this?  or maybe have a "PG Supreme Court" where three of us bring up the issue, propose a solution and vote?
treadasaurusrex likes this post
10-14-2021, 12:59 AM,
RE: Rules Arbitration
Ooh, pick me, pick me!

Seriously though, John Stafford was the final word on PG, though he has not been heard from in a while. He is registered on PG-HQ.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
10-14-2021, 05:05 AM,
An official PG rules arbiter is a great idea!

This is especially true given the time depth since the first set of PG games, scenarios and rules, which are now 20 or so years old. Those of us with older editions often come across various rule-related issues, scenario oddities, poorly-conceived victory conditions, or seriously unbalanced scenarios.
10-18-2021, 01:46 PM,
Just a little reminder of why we play PG, or maybe an idea to recall about why we got into playing board war games in the first place.

Here's a quote from Professor Bernd Heinrich's latest article in the current Natural History magazine - October 2021, page 13:

"A biological definition of play is adaptive behavior expressed in a context when/where it is not needed, that serves as practice for when/where it is life-serving. Another definition might be activity that has no other purpose than the activity itself."

In other words, we do what we do for the fun of it!
10-19-2021, 01:48 AM,
I doubt John Stafford and Mike B have the time and interest to be the official rules arbitrator.

The position should be filled by someone who plays a lot, preferably opposed, with Rules as Written. 

Of the designers I worked with, Mike Perryman sent the most complete special rules in the sense that his submitted special rules were often found to cover all bases and published as the final version.
waynebaumber likes this post
10-19-2021, 06:38 PM,
Hmm, not sure an official rule arbitrator is needed, I am very much a free form gamer and if there is a rule dispute between players during the game and it can't be resolved  by common sense then roll a die to make a temporary ruling then move on. However if the consensus is we need one then I would propose Daniel (Hugmenot).
10-20-2021, 07:30 AM,
The rising availability of shared play via Vassal and the competitive ladder sure puts more emphasis on a common "official" rules set. That being said I really don't like rules debates, and I always regret posting into threads about them. There is never a "winner" even if you "win", just a lot of headaches. 

I'm here to push cardboard tanks around (or more recently cardboard marines), not to be an internet lawyer. I'll let ya'll do that if you want.
10-20-2021, 01:17 PM,
Well, I can tell you that in the ASL world, the "Perry Sez" document is very valuable.  If a rules question comes up, you consult Perry Sez and it is likely that question has already been asked, and answered.  Problem solve quickly and you keep on playing.

Back in PG's 3rd Edition day, PG HQ incorporated the "decisions" of the various rules debates, discussions etc. into the online rules here at PG-HQ.  It wasn't offical, but it was helpful.
10-21-2021, 08:34 PM,
Rules arbitrator

Would it be the same person as the one in charge of 5th Edition of the rules ?  Sleepy
10-22-2021, 02:13 AM,
Is 5th edition even in the works?

I know 4th edition was timed to coincide with AvP running out of 3rd edition rulebooks in their warehouse. Anyone knows how big is their current stockpile of 4th edition rulebook or are they printing rulebooks in smaller batches these days?