Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tanks and Opportunity Fire
08-27-2012, 06:40 AM,
Tanks and Opportunity Fire
Can tanks in adjacent hexes, if activated by a tank leader, combine their FP for an opportunity fire attack. Direct fire only, not AT, naturally. I assumed so (much to the chagrin of some advancing SS SCH units, who found out that 2 T34bs and a JSU-122 can really do terrible things to them).
08-27-2012, 06:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-27-2012, 06:50 AM by Poor Yorek.)
RE: Tanks and Opportunity Fire
(08-27-2012, 06:40 AM)J6A Wrote: Can tanks in adjacent hexes, if activated by a tank leader, combine their FP for an opportunity fire attack. Direct fire only, not AT, naturally. I assumed so (much to the chagrin of some advancing SS SCH units, who found out that 2 T34bs and a JSU-122 can really do terrible things to them).

I would say 'no' because tank leaders have no combat bonus as do regular leaders. Tank leaders cannot combine AFV's in adjacent hexes, they can only activate them. Of course, they (AFVs in adjacent hexes) could take separate OFs at the same moving units.

Now were you to have a hex with a tank and a regular leader (with +1 combat bonus) and have an infantry unit in an adjacent hex, then the tank/reg-leader hex could activate-for-OF and the regular leader could also activate-for-OF the adjacent INF and they could fire combined (and, of course, all would get two M/F markers or a DIY OF marker).

Just my $0.02.
08-27-2012, 07:55 AM,
(08-27-2012, 06:40 AM)J6A Wrote: Can tanks in adjacent hexes, if activated by a tank leader, combine their FP for an opportunity fire attack. Direct fire only, not AT, naturally. I assumed so (much to the chagrin of some advancing SS SCH units, who found out that 2 T34bs and a JSU-122 can really do terrible things to them).

According to Rule 1.1 and Rule 7.33, units in adjacent hex need a leader with an appropriate combat modifier to combine fire. Tank leaders, as PY pointed out, would never have a modifier so this is impossible.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
08-27-2012, 08:05 AM,
(08-27-2012, 06:48 AM)Poor Yorek Wrote:

I would say 'no' because tank leaders have no combat bonus as do regular leaders. Tank leaders cannot combine AFV's in adjacent hexes, they can only activate them. Of course, they (AFVs in adjacent hexes) could take separate OFs at the same moving units.

Now were you to have a hex with a tank and a regular leader (with +1 combat bonus) and have an infantry unit in an adjacent hex, then the tank/reg-leader hex could activate-for-OF and the regular leader could also activate-for-OF the adjacent INF and they could fire combined (and, of course, all would get two M/F markers or a DIY OF marker).

Just my $0.02.

Poor is correct. Tank leaders are a bit less powerful than infantry leaders with regard to fire control.
08-27-2012, 08:12 AM,
Cool. Well, I'm not rolling back the scenario, and I'll do it correctly in the future. Thanks!