Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forced unloading casualty query
08-27-2012, 05:35 AM,
Forced unloading casualty query
Quaeritur: when unloading causes a stacking overload, can the owning player freely determine what unit(s) to lose or must/should the unit that "caused" the stacking overload be eliminated?

Suppose there is a GREN being transported by a good order tank in a hex with: (1) a reduced HMG and (2) a DIS or DEM gun.

Now suppose that, for whatever reason, the foot unit riding the tank is forced to unload in that hex (the other units still present) bringing about a conflict with the stacking limits.

Does the formerly transported GREN *have* to be eliminated or may the owning player choose to eliminate either the reduced HMG or the DIS/DEM gun?

Sorry for the post duplication (I also asked this in the "Tank Rider" thread) but thought this question more general - as it applies to any forcible unloading from a transport leading to a stacking overload - and thus worthy of a separate posting.
08-27-2012, 08:11 AM,
RE: Forced unloading casualty query
This has been rehash from another post early this summer, not just Tank Riders. I have been looking for this but cannot find it. Shad, any better why to search these forums to find it?

I memory serves, in PG the extra unit is just displaced, per UpInTheAttic. In future games that may change, and they will be eliminated.
08-27-2012, 08:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-27-2012, 08:19 AM by Poor Yorek.)
(08-27-2012, 08:11 AM)campsawyer Wrote: This has been rehash from another post early this summer, not just Tank Riders. I have been looking for this but cannot find it. Shad, any better why to search these forums to find it?

I memory serves, in PG the extra unit is just displaced, per UpInTheAttic. In future games that may change, and they will be eliminated.

The old (2009 version) FAQ had:

Stacking
4.1 You CAN have 3 loaded transports/APC and 3 combat units, all in one hex. The penalty for forced unloading (5.66) that results in over stacking is elimination of the over stacked units, chosen by opponent at end of turn.
08-27-2012, 08:21 AM,
(08-27-2012, 08:19 AM)Poor Yorek Wrote:
(08-27-2012, 08:11 AM)campsawyer Wrote: This has been rehash from another post early this summer, not just Tank Riders. I have been looking for this but cannot find it. Shad, any better why to search these forums to find it?

The old (2009 version) FAQ had:

Stacking
4.1 You CAN have 3 loaded transports/APC and 3 combat units, all in one hex. The penalty for forced unloading (5.66) that results in over stacking is elimination of the over stacked units, chosen by opponent at end of turn.

I had seen this, but there was recent discussion that put it in doubt, although with many things PG, it was not fully resolved.
08-27-2012, 08:28 AM,
(08-27-2012, 08:21 AM)campsawyer Wrote: although with many things PG, it was not fully resolved.

Well therein lies the problem of a game system not properly supported by the company. That is, IMNSHO.
08-27-2012, 09:39 AM,
(08-27-2012, 08:28 AM)Poor Yorek Wrote:
(08-27-2012, 08:21 AM)campsawyer Wrote: although with many things PG, it was not fully resolved.

Well therein lies the problem of a game system not properly supported by the company. That is, IMNSHO.

That's funny, as I think of PG as the Unix/Linux of the war game world.
08-27-2012, 10:02 AM,
(08-27-2012, 09:39 AM)campsawyer Wrote: That's funny, as I think of PG as the Unix/Linux of the war game world.

Well, all I can say in reply is that Doug McNair a few years ago warned me about CSW's "air chair quarterbacks" regarding PG rules. I would prefer one authoritative source from the company/designers than the maelstrom of internet message boards.

::cough, cough:: Blush
08-27-2012, 10:28 AM,
That would require a company with good customer service. You will never, ever get that from AP unless their actions directly translate into dollars for them! (such as helping you with an order)

These sorts of soft-service, like rulings and maintaining errata? Never been something they care about.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
08-27-2012, 10:45 AM,
(08-27-2012, 10:28 AM)Shad Wrote: That would require a company with good customer service. You will never, ever get that from AP unless their actions directly translate into dollars for them! (such as helping you with an order)

These sorts of soft-service, like rulings and maintaining errata? Never been something they care about.

Speaking to the Choir here! I had to threaten Action against them just to get my order cancelled and reimbursed. Why I'll never order direct from them again.
08-27-2012, 10:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-27-2012, 11:13 AM by campsawyer.)
(08-27-2012, 10:02 AM)Poor Yorek Wrote:
(08-27-2012, 09:39 AM)campsawyer Wrote: That's funny, as I think of PG as the Unix/Linux of the war game world.

Well, all I can say in reply is that Doug McNair a few years ago warned me about CSW's "air chair quarterbacks" regarding PG rules. I would prefer one authoritative source from the company/designers than the maelstrom of internet message boards.

::cough, cough:: Blush

The bigger problem is that they never play test the games. This leaves gaps in the rules that people have to solve themselves through discussions like these. APL does not care for that, it is all about the volume not the quality. Seems like "good enough" is enough for APL and allows Shad to have this website. Just think, if APL did have good service, this site would never exist.