Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Rules] Disrupting Tank Riders
08-25-2012, 09:11 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-25-2012, 09:11 AM by rerathbun.)
Disrupting Tank Riders
Kursk: South Flank Special Rule 11 "Tank Riders" states that "Normal rules of transport apply (5.6)," and that bombardment and direct fire affect the tank-riding units.

The normal transport rule (5.66) covers disruption/demoralization of the transport only. If a tank rider is disrupted or demoralized by bombardment or direct fire that does not affect the tank, is the rider forced to unload? I'd say yes, but it does not seem to be spelled out in the rules. I have only KSF with me at the moment; does any other game/supplement mention this situation specifically?

Thanks in advance
08-25-2012, 10:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-25-2012, 10:38 AM by Poor Yorek.)
RE: Disrupting Tank Riders
Since the usual (canonical?) interpretation is that a DIS/DEM unit cannot load onto a good order transport, I would surmise that it follows that a DIS/DEM leader or foot unit would be forcibly unloaded from a (good order) tank (I say surmise because I suppose one might quibble regarding whether it is the process of loading or the state of being loaded that is denied DIS/DEM units) - with dire consequences were there to be three AFVs (or any three units I suppose) stacked in the hex when the morale failure occurs.
08-25-2012, 10:20 AM,
Robin, Ironicly I had something similar happen but it was with an AT hit. Reduced the tank, so my question does it reduce the SMG. I say yes, per the transport rule.

For your question, yes the SMG's need to bail out per the transport rules.
08-26-2012, 09:29 AM,
Thanks for the replies (especially since you both agreed with me Big Grin). Always nice when I'm on the same page as experts.
08-26-2012, 01:19 PM,
(08-25-2012, 09:11 AM)rerathbun Wrote: Kursk: South Flank Special Rule 11 "Tank Riders" states that "Normal rules of transport apply (5.6)," and that bombardment and direct fire affect the tank-riding units.

The normal transport rule (5.66) covers disruption/demoralization of the transport only. If a tank rider is disrupted or demoralized by bombardment or direct fire that does not affect the tank, is the rider forced to unload? I'd say yes, but it does not seem to be spelled out in the rules. I have only KSF with me at the moment; does any other game/supplement mention this situation specifically?

Thanks in advance

Disrupted or demoralized tank riders must immediately unload. If the tank suffers a step lost so does the ridng unit. Thanks, Mike
08-26-2012, 11:51 PM,
Mike, Thanks for the clarification.
08-27-2012, 12:01 AM,
Mike,

If you return to look at this thread, I have another question along this line:

Suppose there is a GREN being transported by a good order tank in a hex with: (1) a reduced HMG and (2) a DIS or DEM gun (mostly, I care about the reduced and morale status).

So now suppose that, for whatever reason, the foot unit riding the tank is forced to unload in that hex (the other units still present) bringing about a conflict with the stacking limits.

1. Does the formerly transported GREN *have* to be eliminated or
2. Can the owning player choose to eliminate either the reduced HMG or the DIS/DEM gun?

In other words, when unloading causes a stacking overload, can the owning player freely determine what unit(s) to lose or must the unit that "caused" the stacking overload (here the tank riding unit) be eliminated?

Thank you.