Poll: Which pather for thebase sides
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Leave it as is. I can live with Axis Koreans, ect.
50.00%
2 50.00%
Make 3 base modules. I'll take my chances with errors.
0%
0 0%
I can wait for the updated base. Future-proffing is good.
50.00%
2 50.00%
Total 4 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Axis vs. Allied the molehill growing to a mountain
02-21-2021, 05:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-22-2021, 03:45 AM by plloyd1010.)
Axis vs. Allied the molehill growing to a mountain
PG Über, as with most Vassal modules, requires the definition of 2 sides and/or a solitaire position. Back in the days of the Elsenborn, Kokoda and Airborne modules the sides Axis and Allied made good sense. The scope of PG Über has grown since those days. That has created a few small aberrations. Peru and Ecuador are not really Axis and Allied powers (regardless of who you may think is which). The Poles are usually Allied, but when they fight the Soviet  invasion in 1939, they are "Axis". Lithuanians usually Axis, but once or twice they are Allied. Imperial Germany, Ethiopia... Start talking about Iron Curtain... Yeah, this keeps growing.

The future of PG Über will bring in the Cold War, the Korean War, the Six-Day War, the Vietnam War, Spanish American War, American Punitive Expedition and at least half-a-dozen others. Axis vs. Allied just doesn't seem to cut it anymore. So the road divides into 3 paths:
  1. Leave sides the way they are. This means North Koreans, Arab League and Russians, from Iron Curtain onward, become Axis powers.
  2. Make 3 base modules. Easy to do, but synchronization error become likely. Then there problem of names the sides. Essentially cutting the mountain into 3 hills.
  3. Rename the sides to something more generic. Longest term solution, but involves a fair amount of easy but tedious rework. Would likely delay the March update.
If I chose generic named sides, I have a strong leaning that way, what would they be? Good Guys vs. Bad Guys seems a bit chauvinistic. Side 1 vs. Side 2 is likely too confusing, scenario books switch sides 1 and 2 with little reason. I am thinking Blue vs. Red. Assignment of sides would (sort of is) based on the American perspective, Allied/NATO perspective, general preponderance of related extensions.
joe_oppenheimer likes this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
02-21-2021, 10:39 AM,
RE: Axis vs. Allied the molehill growing to a mountain
Actually the Blue/Red conversion isn't too bad. I found a way to do most of it in batches.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
02-21-2021, 10:41 AM,
(02-21-2021, 10:39 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: Actually the Blue/Red conversion isn't too bad. I found a way to do most of it in batches.

I voted for keeping it the same as it sounded like a lot of work on your part for little gain. 

If the conversion is relatively simple, then I guess i would flip my vote over to Blue/Red/whatever. 

The three separate modules seems like a huge headache for everyone though IMO.
02-21-2021, 06:28 PM,
Red Team/Blue Team....
02-22-2021, 02:26 AM,
Fine the way it is. If there are issues identifying the Axis or Allied side, we can just identify who's who in a thread here on the site. Just doesn't seem worth the work on your part as your plate always  seems to be full maintaining the wonderful options for gaming that the Academy has given all of us.
cjsiam likes this post
02-24-2021, 10:31 PM,
As I see it, with the pole (with one vote changed in the comments) and one vote in the comments but not in the pole, the opinion is to go with Red vs. Blue for the sides. 4 votes for that change, 1 to leave it the same and none for splitting the base module.

I've gotten the Axis and Allied references in the base module and all the extensions converted red & blue. There are just a couple graphics to change in the event markers.

Now to the next question.