Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Stafford
02-17-2021, 01:27 AM,
John Stafford
John Stafford and Jim Baldrighi designed D-Day and Beyond for Tiny Battle Publishing. The game comes with a 28" x 36" map in two panels and 352 5/8" counters so not so tiny battle.

https://tinybattlepublishing.com/product...and-beyond

John Stafford is the designer of Sword of Israel (Modern PG) as well as a few other titles im the PG family. John is also a former PG, PG Modern and Infantry Attacks series' developer. I've met both John and Jim at On To Richmond (a local convention he drove to) and we had a lot of fun.
09-14-2021, 11:11 AM,
RE: John Stafford
Thanks for the tip. I'm still looking for "the perfect" D-Day game. Maybe this is the one...
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
09-27-2021, 08:02 AM,
Which D-Day games have you tried? 

I may be able to recommend something.
02-07-2022, 12:02 PM,
Anyone want to play Longest Day? It's been on my shelf for 30 years. It is a beast but pretty cool. All the unit types and symbols are German style. Big game.
cjsiam likes this post

User Experience begins with You...
Always looking for people to play PzGdr, Napoleonic Games, and Great War at Sea
(the Vassal for GWAS Mediterranean specifically).
02-08-2022, 07:05 PM,
(09-14-2021, 11:11 AM)Shad Wrote: Thanks for the tip. I'm still looking for "the perfect" D-Day game. Maybe this is the one...

Normandy 44 is on my table now Shad will report back if you wish
02-01-2023, 03:44 AM,
(02-08-2022, 07:05 PM)waynebaumber Wrote:
(09-14-2021, 11:11 AM)Shad Wrote: Thanks for the tip. I'm still looking for "the perfect" D-Day game. Maybe this is the one...

Normandy 44 is on my table now Shad will report back if you wish

I wish you would report back Big Grin
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
02-01-2023, 12:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-01-2023, 12:09 PM by cjsiam.)
(02-07-2022, 12:02 PM)goosebrown Wrote: Anyone want to play Longest Day? It's been on my shelf for 30 years. It is a beast but pretty cool. All the unit types and symbols are German style. Big game.

spent a few months...hell...40 years ago?? playing that game 79-80ish?
Was a great game for simulating the invasion----battalion level pieces....incredible 

Once you learned the system (we played a few times)(over months)....it worked great and the symbols
were awesome
damn, now that I'm retired---I may look for one....
goosebrown likes this post
02-01-2023, 12:19 PM,
I really enjoyed Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Beach if you want to limit the scope to the 1st, 29th and 2nd Rangers. It's a John Butterfield solitaire game that won a few awards back in the day. It will keep you occupied, and it's a challenge to pull off a win in that one.
02-02-2023, 09:50 AM,
(02-01-2023, 12:06 PM)cjsiam Wrote:
(02-07-2022, 12:02 PM)goosebrown Wrote: Anyone want to play Longest Day? It's been on my shelf for 30 years. It is a beast but pretty cool. All the unit types and symbols are German style. Big game.
Once you learned the system (we played a few times)(over months)....it worked great and the symbols
were awesome
damn, now that I'm retired---I may look for one....

The symbols were the official Wehrmacht system I believe. Very cool. 

You know there IS a vassal for it

https://vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:The_Longest_Day
cjsiam likes this post

User Experience begins with You...
Always looking for people to play PzGdr, Napoleonic Games, and Great War at Sea
(the Vassal for GWAS Mediterranean specifically).
02-21-2023, 02:22 AM,
Hi Shad and all,

I can report that Normandy 44 is an excellent game, in fact if anyone is looking for an excellent operational scale set of games then the Simmonitch series of games including Ukraine 43, Stalingrad 42, both of which I have played.

Normandy 44 has  a very simple way of showing the actual landings which works well, as the battle moves inland the game system highlights the issues the Allies with supply and command control. Excellent game
treadasaurusrex and Shad like this post