Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scenario Play Record for AAR Writing
02-06-2021, 11:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-06-2021, 11:24 AM by Poor Yorek.)
Scenario Play Record for AAR Writing
I made a cursory look-through this sub-forum, but didn't see anything similar.  So, enclosed is a very simple scenario record table (by turn) in pdf format to keep track of various game turn stats/events that might be useful in writing subsequent AARs.  Essentially, this allows one to keep track of:
  • Side Initiative (useful both for the Initiative Determination Phase or IDP), but also for documenting initiative losses which are sometimes factors in determining Battle Game outcomes.
  • # of segments of initiative won and by which side.
  • Step losses by each side.
  • Running totals of VPs (so that one can keep track of running step losses and/or positional VPs).
  • Other turn notes (e.g. FoW rolls; aircraft drawn; reinforcements; weather whatever).  
Really, the idea was to have a tidy way to review the scenario play after the fact to aid one in writing AARs.  For an example of how I did this a number of years ago now, see my AAR for St. Vith: the Fall (ER #22) where, for example (turn; IDP; German VP; US VP; Comments).
 10 US+1 15 47 Tigers bushwacked by M18.
11 G+2 21 48 Slush; initiative bad news for M18 crews; vis 1 hex.
12 G+1 21 48 Night rules in play.
13 US+1 24 48
14 G+1 27 49 Board 23 now clear of US units

Keeping this in Excel would also be easy, especially for folks playing on Vassal or by Zoom or such, but I'm so old-school that having a pencil-and-paper record is comforting.   So, FWIW: 
.pdf   ScenarioRecordSheet.pdf (Size: 549.1 KB / Downloads: 49)
saracv3 and Juiceman like this post
02-07-2021, 01:59 AM,
RE: Scenario Play Record for AAR Writing
(02-06-2021, 11:19 AM)Poor Yorek Wrote: I made a cursory look-through this sub-forum, but didn't see anything similar.  So, enclosed is a very simple scenario record table (by turn) in pdf format to keep track of various game turn stats/events that might be useful in writing subsequent AARs.  Essentially, this allows one to keep track of:
  • Side Initiative (useful both for the Initiative Determination Phase or IDP), but also for documenting initiative losses which are sometimes factors in determining Battle Game outcomes.
  • # of segments of initiative won and by which side.
  • Step losses by each side.
  • Running totals of VPs (so that one can keep track of running step losses and/or positional VPs).
  • Other turn notes (e.g. FoW rolls; aircraft drawn; reinforcements; weather whatever).  
Really, the idea was to have a tidy way to review the scenario play after the fact to aid one in writing AARs.  For an example of how I did this a number of years ago now, see my AAR for St. Vith: the Fall (ER #22) where, for example (turn; IDP; German VP; US VP; Comments).
 10 US+1 15 47 Tigers bushwacked by M18.
11 G+2 21 48 Slush; initiative bad news for M18 crews; vis 1 hex.
12 G+1 21 48 Night rules in play.
13 US+1 24 48
14 G+1 27 49 Board 23 now clear of US units

Keeping this in Excel would also be easy, especially for folks playing on Vassal or by Zoom or such, but I'm so old-school that having a pencil-and-paper record is comforting.   So, FWIW: 

I'm so old school I use chalk and a slate board   Wink
Poor Yorek likes this post
02-07-2021, 04:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-07-2021, 07:40 AM by Poor Yorek.)
Just a quick addendum:

On the side morale line, I usually add the initiative loss criterion as -1/#steps.  So, I would jot:

Morale (A): 8/6 -1/5   to denote morale of 8/6 in the customary way and initiative down by 1 for every 5 steps lost. 

Alternatively, one might denote the -1/5 just above the Init(A) tracker column and similarly for side (B).
04-13-2021, 06:26 AM,
Years ago, I made an Excel sheet with very similar attributes as PY’s venture. I’ve used the same template for all my games and AARs. I use paper and pencil. But it does leave a nice permanent record.