Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The challenge is on
01-13-2021, 08:34 AM,
The challenge is on
I have started a challenge with cjsaim. As framework for setting up a challenge, I am sharing what I proposed to him.

We play it twice (the scenario we decide on), it is the fairest method. Almost everything else it pretty optional with me.
  1. One of us chooses a game, the other chooses the scenario. The opponent search tool can find commonly owned games, and filter scenarios.
    1. I would likely choose my portion randomly. Google has a random 1 to X generator. So once I have a list...
    2. My only insistence here be that the game be supported in Vassal, because I lack table space. You can table setup on your end if you like.
  2. We agree on a rules set. I presume 4th Edition.
  3. We mutually choose our optional rules.
  4. We decide a regular session time. Not that this can't be changed, it just helps move things along.
  5. Make a list everything we have agreed upon. It prevents arguments later.
  6. I kick your butt. (Twice)
If you like we could arrange our first session to to get all that worked out.

Apart from the last point, cjsiam is agreeable. We start later this week or mid next week.
Juiceman likes this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
01-13-2021, 01:23 PM,
RE: The challenge is on
(01-13-2021, 08:34 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: I have started a challenge with cjsaim. As framework for setting up a challenge, I am sharing what I proposed to him.

We play it twice (the scenario we decide on), it is the fairest method. Almost everything else it pretty optional with me.
  1. One of us chooses a game, the other chooses the scenario. The opponent search tool can find commonly owned games, and filter scenarios.
    1. I would likely choose my portion randomly. Google has a random 1 to X generator. So once I have a list...
    2. My only insistence here be that the game be supported in Vassal, because I lack table space. You can table setup on your end if you like.
  2. We agree on a rules set. I presume 4th Edition.
  3. We mutually choose our optional rules.
  4. We decide a regular session time. Not that this can't be changed, it just helps move things along.
  5. Make a list everything we have agreed upon. It prevents arguments later.
  6. I kick your butt. (Twice)
If you like we could arrange our first session to to get all that worked out.

Apart from the last point, cjsiam is agreeable. We start later this week or mid next week.

I think also we create a list of optional rules we both agree to use.....
Probably good to have a standard presentation of that...
Juiceman likes this post
01-14-2021, 10:17 AM,
Okay, I received a challenge.  What do I do next?  Is this a "pick whatever scenario amuses us" situation, or "everyone will play the same scenario" situation?
01-14-2021, 11:06 AM,
(01-14-2021, 10:17 AM)J6A Wrote: Okay, I received a challenge.  What do I do next?  Is this a "pick whatever scenario amuses us" situation, or "everyone will play the same scenario" situation?
You and NBGB work out the terms of the game.
  1. Switched or single play.
  2. Method, like Vassal or dual-table or whatever. Just has to be shared play.
  3. Agree on the rules set and optional rules.
  4. Figure out when to play.
Have fun. Since you were challenged, all you need is an overall draw.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
01-14-2021, 11:35 PM,
(01-14-2021, 10:17 AM)J6A Wrote: Okay, I received a challenge.  What do I do next?  Is this a "pick whatever scenario amuses us" situation, or "everyone will play the same scenario" situation?

Over the weekend I'll add the ability to tell the ladder what scenario you're playing with the opponent, and mark it complete with a winner. This is a gradual implementation process.

Peter has covered the basics. It's really entirely up to you two. If you're at loggerheads I can arbitrate, but since there's nothing at stake here I don't think that will be necessary. Just agree on a scenario you think you'll enjoy and have fun!
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
01-15-2021, 06:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-15-2021, 06:20 AM by cjsiam.)
I enclose a spreadsheet Peter and I are using....

We each indicated which Optionals we like...
Then we AGREED on whcih ones.... (Peter has some valid comments I left in)

you might download this, clear out our info, and fill your ideas in and send to your opponent...
You can then finalize....

Peter and I ended up with:
  • Excess Initiative
  • Extended Assault
  • Fog of War
  •     All demoralized units attempt to rally on a FoW roll
  • Overrun
  • Mire --- but only swamp/salt marsh
  • Ruins/Rubble
  • Strategic Movement
GAME ON!
We are now working on rolling for who goes first.....sides, for first of two games....

I'm taking my humble pills....I hope they help....

Attached Files
.xlsx   OptionalRules-2.xlsx (Size: 9.82 KB / Downloads: 6)
02-26-2021, 04:37 AM,
I won the first round. It is steep for the Russians. Now I have to play with them. Sad