Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Launching our Competitive Ladder
01-04-2021, 11:00 PM,
Launching our Competitive Ladder
Happy New Year to everyone once again!

Today I'm pleased to announce the establishment of our PG-HQ Competitive Ladder!

In practice, it will be a fairly traditional affair:
  • There will be one player on each rung of the ladder.
  • Players can only challenge "up" the ladder.
  • If you win, you occupy the rung of the player you've beaten and they and everyone below them shifts down one rung.
  • If you draw or lose, they have successfully defended their rung and no positions change.
  • Play method is up to the players themselves, and can be via Vassal, simultaneous real game setup, or anything else.
When it comes to the actual playing of scenarios, the following guidelines apply:
  • PG-HQ recommends that you play the same scenario twice, switching sides. The winner then being whichever player performed best in total.
  • VPs and related conditions should be agreed upon before play.
  • If you and your opponent agree to only play a scenario once, please take special care to make sure the VPs and such are fair. No do-overs!
  • There is no time limit to conclude a challenge. We only ask that play proceed on a regular basis.
  • If you and your opponent find yourselves in a dispute that you cannot resolve on your own, you may elevate it to the PG-HQ Admin for resolution. Be warned: his word is law in Ladder Land!
Head on over to our PG-HQ Competitive Ladder page and join today! Fill out your ladder profile with a good contact email, your general availability, and any other comments you feel might be helpful to other players! All skill levels welcome! The goal is just to play more PG!

Pre-registration ends on January 11th, at which point I will randomly seed all entrants into ladder rungs and then the ladder opens for challenges. Beyond that date, you may join the ladder at any time.

Post any questions you have here and I'll answer them ASAP!
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
01-11-2021, 03:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-11-2021, 05:56 AM by Shad.)
The ladder does not require Vassal
I wanted to point out that the Competitive ladder does not require that one be a Vassal user. All that is required is shared play. Two tables and a phone call are perfectly acceptable ways to fulfill the play requirements.

Don't let computer usage and Vassal discourage you!

This is about playing the game in the best form of any game play. That being direct competition.
cjsiam likes this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
01-12-2021, 12:12 PM,
RE: Launching our Competitive Ladder
The ladder is now live. There is a 2 rung challenge limit for the time being. Initial seeding was randomly generated. Everything is tested, but that doesn't mean it's 100% bug free! Big Grin  Please post here if you see any weirdness.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
01-12-2021, 12:24 PM,
RE: Launching our Competitive Ladder
Yea! I was on the bottom too. It's time....

[Image: giphy.gif]

I'm coming for you!
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking