• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vassal would not read vdmx files
01-04-2021, 02:25 AM,
Vassal would not read vdmx files
Hi there,
I right click on the on the PG - huber module,
choose add extension,
select - as reccomended - the core data minefields file
...get and errore message stating: Vassal was unable to write the file ...Core_Data--Panzer_Grenadier_Uber_base_module_ext
Could anyone be able to help me with it?

I'm using Vassal 3.4.7 ...too advanced?

Thanks a lot
Ottavio
01-04-2021, 03:26 AM,
RE: Vassal would not read vdmx files
I just tried it. I added the Demo and Mentoring extensions with any problem. I am using Vassal 3.4.11 and PG Uber 2.6. I did get an error when I tried to add the Demo Games extension while it was still a zipfile.

Are you trying to add the extensions while they are zip files or have you broken them out into the vmdx files?
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
01-04-2021, 03:37 AM,
They are all unzipped and I tried one by one.
Actually starting from the core data minefields file
I've never played the PG Vassal before and I decide to start from (...obviously :-)) the Fronte Russo module with the intention of playing two scenarios and submitting their log file.
I downloaded and unzipped it jointly with all the required vdmx files.
I wonder if adding the vdmx estension does not work because I lack some permission.
01-04-2021, 04:07 AM,
All that I can think of at this point is that you have a bad copy of the minefield extension. Your solution might be a simple as downloading a new copy.

I removed my copy of the minefields, opened the module (to recreate the extension list). Then downloaded and added a new copy of the minefields (different name). It added okay and I could start a game.

If you were able to add other extensions, you can copy new extensions into the Core_Data--Panzer_Grenadier_Uber_base_module_ext directory, before starting Vassal.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
01-05-2021, 02:27 AM,

.docx   vdmx bug.docx (Size: 264.27 KB / Downloads: 2) Thanks a lot but no way,
I made a relevant number of attempts ... and they all failed.
I posted this problem in the Vassal website, where I attached a file showing the error message.
It is also attached here.

Ottavio
01-05-2021, 03:24 AM,
Were you able to load any of the vmdx files?

Have updated your Vassal version?

You are using Windows, right. I've tried this on Windows 7, 8.1 and 10.

One thought: Maybe make the extension directory your self. This would be Core_Data--Panzer_Grenadier_Über_Base_Module_ext, if you don't change any names. The extension directory is [module name]_ext.

2nd thought: Maybe the umlaut on the U is messing things up. If it is, I should change the file name.
01-07-2021, 11:08 PM,
I sorted it out,
sorry for having bothered you, may be it was specified in the instruction (either of the PG-HQ or of Vassal).
The issue was that my PC would not let the vdmx program run directly from the C:\programs folder in which Vassal installs itself.
I created a VDMX folder somewhere else (C:\PG\VDMX) and when I added the core file VDMX to the PG uber MOD everything went fine.

looking forward to play PG on Vassal, thank for your marvellous contribution!

Ottavio
Shad likes this post
01-07-2021, 11:47 PM,
I'm glad you got it sorted out. It was no bother at all. Things like this are going to come up.

Looking forward to you joining us online. Will Lorenzo be joining our community too? You should also sign up for the ladder play that will be activated next week.
01-08-2021, 01:12 AM,
For sure Carmine will join, he is another PG player and I will face him in the first two scenarios required to fully unlock PG uber.
Lorenzo I'm not sure, but I will try to convince him.
I will check with the ladder play. But the point is that I've been desining Canadian battles in Italy for the last three years and this "sucks a lot of time".
Yes, I'm meticolous and slooowwwwwwwwwwwwww.
01-08-2021, 01:27 AM,
Okay.
  1. Have Carmine sign up with the academy, you get certified together. No one has ever said you must play your qualification scenarios solo.
  2. I made Canadian counters a while back. I think I sent you a copy of them before. If I didn't, let me know.