Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Series two rules in hand
01-11-2024, 11:22 AM,
RE: Series two rules in hand
You guys are making me very, very depressed. My high school business law teacher, the late Mr. O'Shaughnessy, who spent so much time teaching us how to write proper business letters, is up there in heaven crying his eyes out.
Tubac52, ACav, Reconquista And 11 others like this post
01-11-2024, 11:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-12-2024, 12:55 PM by treadasaurusrex.)
(01-11-2024, 11:22 AM)Tony M Wrote: You guys are making me very, very depressed. My high school business law teacher, the late Mr. O'Shaughnessy, who spent so much time teaching us how to write proper business letters, is up there in heaven crying his eyes out.
All of my English Teachers are, too!

And, the only retired High School English Instructor (Chaco) that's a member of the SEABJFC, is also.
CavDo, Tambu, Sonora And 11 others like this post
01-12-2024, 03:24 AM,
If you kids don't stop this arguing. I am going to make you duel it out with Siege Artillery at 14,000 yards across no-man's land while wearing gas masks!

North Korean style.
sagunto, PANISTA, CavDo And 11 others like this post

User Experience begins with You...
Always looking for people to play PzGdr, Napoleonic Games, and Great War at Sea
(the Vassal for GWAS Mediterranean specifically).
01-12-2024, 12:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-12-2024, 12:59 PM by treadasaurusrex.)
Ah, but you missed the part about having to pre-plot 40-turn's worth of artillery "drumfire."
Tubac52, Sonora, CavDo And 10 others like this post
01-12-2024, 01:26 PM,
(01-12-2024, 03:24 AM)goosebrown Wrote: If you kids don't stop this arguing. I am going to make you duel it out with Siege Artillery at 14,000 yards across no-man's land while wearing gas masks!

North Korean style.

Huh???
01-12-2024, 02:51 PM,
One of the more awful things about Infantry Attacks!
cochise75, ACav, Tubac52 And 11 others like this post
01-13-2024, 01:46 AM,
How about an Artillery plotting house rule
I don't know how long it would take to get word from the battle area to the artillery park, but I am going to assume it's a little over an hour. (That is at least a good framework for in game resolution.) So here goes.

OBA orders may be changed in 2 ways, Normal Channels and Field Orders. Any changes to OBA firing orders are recorded in the Bombardment phase.
  1. Normal Channels
    • A player may alter OBA firing orders in any way, if it has been at least 4 turns since the last Normal Channels change. These orders are applied 6 turns after they are recorded.
  2. Field Orders
    • If a player wishes to modify or add to the OBA firing orders, those changes must be written out. There may be up to 4 consecutive turns of plotting. Beginning the turn after the new plots are recorded, roll on die for each plot change. on a 1 or less the new plot takes effect. If the new plot does not take effect, subtract 1 from the die roll for next turn. Continue rolling until the new plot takes effect, subtracting and additional one, up to a maximum of -4, until the new plot takes effect.

• If there are multiple changes for a given battery, roll for both changes as above. If multiple changes are to take effect in the same turn, give each order an equal chance and randomly choose between them to determine which will be in effect for that turn. 1-3 the older change is applied, 4-6 the newer change is applied. If the old change is applied, switch to the newer plot on the next turn. Any Normal Channels changes still applicable will go into effect when Field Orders have been fulfilled. Note: If Normal Channels and Field Orders changes go into effect on the same turn, there is still a randomized choice between them. Normal Channels changes are considered the older orders in this case.
cochise75, treadasaurusrex, sagunto like this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
01-13-2024, 07:53 AM,
Thanks Peter for opening this discussion with a house rule governing Infantry Attacks OBA. I want to be like just you, when I grow up!

I suggest that your proposed rule be simplified, consolidated & restated, as follows:

Pre-plotted, off-board artillery targets may be changed every 6 turns (90 minutes of game time) at the discretion of the owning player.

Even the slowest WWI carrier pigeon, forward field telegrapher (my Great Uncle at Verdun, the Aisle, Chateau-Thierry and later at Meuse-Argonne), bicycle messenger, or mounted/dismounted courier would be able to get word of such a targeting change back to the firing batteries, or Fire Direction Control (FDC) in that amount of time if they are already firing at registered targets. I think that the guns could quickly be re-aligned and registered on the new target coordinates well within that time frame as well.
ACav, cochise75, Tambu And 11 others like this post
01-13-2024, 08:10 AM,
When it comes to rules writing; the simpler, the better!
PANISTA, ACav, chaco And 11 others like this post
01-13-2024, 11:30 AM,
Amen, my friend!
PANISTA, OldPueblo, Tubac52 And 10 others like this post