Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Series two rules in hand
01-07-2024, 11:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-07-2024, 11:28 AM by Tony M.)
RE: Series two rules in hand
If true, that would be absolutely appalling.

It frustrates me to no end when companies choose not to take advantage of expertise they could have FOR FREE. The community is eager to help, because they want to spend their game dollars wisely. They have a vested interest in making products the best they can be.
treadasaurusrex, PANISTA, Tambu And 12 others like this post
01-08-2024, 08:34 AM,
Alas, standby to be appalled my friend . . .

More than one board game designer has fallen into the Open AI Chatgpt trap already.
Miguelibal, OldPueblo, Tankodactyl And 11 others like this post
01-08-2024, 11:35 AM,
Are any of them doing this openly? If so, would you feel comfortable naming them?

I might as well just spend the rest of my days reading books. I have several hundred books in my library, and I should just shut myself off from society and read.

Are AI-enhanced game designers successful? Do they really think software can do a better job designing a wargame than a person?
Tubac52, CavDo, Tankodactyl And 6 others like this post
01-08-2024, 12:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-10-2024, 11:10 AM by treadasaurusrex.)
Yes, I have direct knowledge of 2 game designer/developers that rely on AI for rules & scenario writing using Open AI's CHATgpt. No, I won't name them as this information was shared in confidence.

I also know of a number of political campaigns, nonprofit organizations, and even legislative offices that do the same regularly in their communications with donors and constituent groups.

Wish that I knew the answer to your second question.

I do know, as you probably do, that the quality of writing in many board game rule sets has fallen off substantially in the last 20 years, or so.
chaco, Tambu, Reconquista And 12 others like this post
01-11-2024, 01:33 AM,
Oh well. It's not up to me. I guess I can just keep what little money I have in my pocket.
01-11-2024, 03:22 AM,
Just got this from ChatGPT Avalon Hill's PanzerBlitz is a classic tactical wargame designed by James F. Dunnigan and published in 1970. It simulates armored warfare on the Eastern Front of World War II. If you're looking for tips or information on playing PanzerBlitz, here are some key points to consider:
  1. Understanding the Basics:
    • The game uses a hexagon grid map to represent the terrain.
    • Units are represented by counters with information about their strength, type, and other relevant details.
    • The game is turn-based, with players taking turns to move and conduct combat operations.
  2. Terrain Matters:
    • Pay attention to the terrain on the map. Different terrain types affect movement, line of sight, and combat.
    • Hills, forests, and cities provide cover and can be used strategically for defense.
    • Rivers and other obstacles can slow down movement.
  3. Unit Types:
    • Units in PanzerBlitz represent different types of military forces, including infantry, artillery, and armored units.
    • Different units have varying movement and combat capabilities. Tanks, for example, are strong in open terrain but may struggle in forests or urban areas.
  4. Line of Sight:
    • Line of sight is crucial in PanzerBlitz. Plan your movements to take advantage of terrain that can block or limit your opponent's line of sight.
    • Consider using high ground to spot enemy units and plan your attacks accordingly.
  5. Combat Resolution:
    • Combat is resolved using a simple system of odds ratios based on the attacker's and defender's strengths.
    • Dice are commonly used to determine the outcome of combat. Refer to the Combat Results Table (CRT) for resolution.
  6. Supply and Logistics:
    • Units need to be in supply to operate effectively. Ensure that your units are connected to a supply source, usually a road or a clear path to your headquarters.
  7. Scenarios and Campaigns:
    • PanzerBlitz often comes with various scenarios and campaigns. Experiment with different setups to experience a variety of tactical situations.
  8. Learn from Experience:
    • The best way to get better at PanzerBlitz is through experience. Play the game regularly, and don't be afraid to try different strategies and tactics.
  9. House Rules:
    • Some players enjoy incorporating house rules to enhance the gaming experience. Feel free to experiment with rules that make the game more enjoyable for you and your opponents.
Remember that these are general tips, and the specific rules may vary based on the edition of PanzerBlitz you're playing. Always refer to the rulebook for the most accurate information. If you have specific questions or need clarification on certain rules, feel free to ask!
Miguelibal, treadasaurusrex, Reconquista And 11 others like this post

User Experience begins with You...
Always looking for people to play PzGdr, Napoleonic Games, and Great War at Sea
(the Vassal for GWAS Mediterranean specifically).
01-11-2024, 04:38 AM,
Thanks Matt!

Indeed, here's how to write clear, user friendly, game rules and gaming hints - from way back in the day!

Inspite of what Dr. Mike often says & writes - PanzerBlitz still rules!
Tankodactyl, ACav, goosebrown And 11 others like this post
01-11-2024, 06:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-11-2024, 06:31 AM by chaco.)
(01-06-2024, 12:33 PM)treadasaurusrex Wrote: Alas, so far I have found the 2nd edition of the Infantry Attacks rules to be a poorly-written, disorganized, unrealistic mess with very few examples of play.
These rules are so miserably organized and edited that they might well have been written by a robot.

By comparison, reading the old PanzerBlitz rules section that goosebrown posted is a pleasure. And the entire PanzerBlitz rules set fits on just one oversized piece of paper!
PANISTA, OldPueblo, Tubac52 And 11 others like this post
01-11-2024, 06:52 AM,
Quote:By comparison, reading the old PanzerBlitz rules section that goosebrown posted is a pleasure. And the entire PanzerBlitz rules set fits on just one oversized piece of paper!
Wait. That was from ChatGPT. I just typed in PanzerBlitz rules and that came out.

Sure it sucks now but it is a toddler. Less than a year old.
CavDo, Tankodactyl, chaco And 9 others like this post

User Experience begins with You...
Always looking for people to play PzGdr, Napoleonic Games, and Great War at Sea
(the Vassal for GWAS Mediterranean specifically).
01-11-2024, 07:07 AM,
Amazing . . . existing intellectual property rights be damned, que no?

A nonprofit executive that I know, just types: "need, money, elders, now" into ChatGPT. What comes out is: "Without your immediate financial support, we'll have to stop serving the elderly in our community this month!"

It may save time & typing, but it is a lousy way to write texts to adults.
CavDo, ACav, chaco And 11 others like this post