Poll: Should Gatling guns be draggable or have movement when limberewd?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Draggable yes, movement no.
50.00%
1 50.00%
A movement of 1 when limbered.
0%
0 0%
No! The red T is RED.
50.00%
1 50.00%
Total 2 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should Gatling Guns be draggable?
09-08-2020, 06:57 AM,
Should Gatling Guns be draggable?
We ran into this problem in our last game. We decided tentatively yes, as they have wheels an are only a few hundred pounds. Perhaps they should even have a movement of 1 when limbered, like an infantry gun. Are there any thoughts out there?
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
03-14-2021, 02:24 AM,
RE: Should Gatling Guns be draggable?
I would say no for two reasons: the ammunition is very heavy and since these are battery units there is the laying in procedure etc.
04-08-2021, 05:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-08-2021, 05:40 AM by plloyd1010.)
ee yeah, draggable
I have been doing some reading, and I want to revive this dead horse.
18 Gatling guns of the M1895 model were taken to Cuba. 4 were under the command of one Lt. John Henry Parker. He got the job because he had suggested the idea of a Gatling gun detachment and Gen. Shafter (or his staff) said good idea, you do it.

The Gatling gun weighed 170 lbs. and is mounted on a wheeled carriage. This is much heavier than the Colt-Browning machine-gun, but far less than the German 75mm infantry gun, which weighs in at over 850 lbs. in combat. The infantry gun has a limbered movement in PG of 1. So do the 37mm AT guns, they weigh over 700 lbs. So I think they are pushable. The only question in my mind would be how be the amount of ammunition which can be moved with the guns.

Lt. Parker wrote a book, History of the Gatling Gun Detachment, about his command and experience in the war. Here is a telling excerpt:
Quote:    "The guns were pushed right up in the hottest place there was in the battle-field...and put into action at the most critical point of the battle... [the guns] so successfully subdued the Spanish fire that from that time to the capture of the practically impregnable position was only eight-and-one-half minutes. The expenditure of ammunition during this time, in which a continuous fire was kept up from three guns, was 6,000 rounds per gun..."

Apparently the the Gatling guns are being pushed. A small detachment of the 10th Cavalry may have been helping with the ammunition, but they are not mentioned until after the summit of San Juan Hill is taken.

I at this point intend to treat the Gatling guns as an infantry gun battery, not that it makes a difference in the IA rules. It will come in 2 versions, like some of the counters in the PG extension. One towed and one with a limbered move of 1.

The reason for bring this up again is that I am working on extensions to support Infantry Attacks in Vassal. To Hell with Span and Chihuahua Incident are going to be the first ones. The 1914 and Mouse that Roared. Incidentally, I made a new graphic too.

... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking