Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vassal 3.3.2
08-28-2020, 01:18 AM,
Vassal 3.3.2
Those following Vassal development over on vassalengine.org, probably have noticed that Vassal 3.3.2 has been released. This version appears to be usable, as opposed the the original release of 3.3.0. That is because the current version has a JRE 11 build included for Windows and Mac PCs.

Those of you who launch Vassal from the included batch file will notice that the batch file does not work any more.
Here is the germane info from the current Vassal readme:
Quote:VASSAL 3.3 requires Java 11 or later

The Windows and Mac packages have an appropriate version of Java bundled with them, so there is no need to install Java separately on those operating systems. This was my earlier peeve.

If you save a module in VASSAL 3.3, you will NOT be able to open it afterwards with VASSAL 3.2. We recommend keeping a backup copy of any pre-3.3 modules you plan to modify in 3.3 until you've verified that everything works to your satisfaction.

I will not be saving any of the modules or extensions in Vassal 3.3.2 until after the September update. This is a compatibility choice for those who may not get 3.3.2 until after the update. The base module and extensions appear to unaffected by the new Vassal version. I have no information on interoperability between 3.2.17 and 3.3.2, but I expect I will soon.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
08-28-2020, 01:57 AM,
RE: Vassal 3.3.2
So Peter if we are happy with the operation of 3.2.17, as it is now with Uber---

Is there a compelling reason to upgrade to the 3.3.2 version?

Will support for the 3.2.17 version continue, or do you intend all future work will be 3.3.2? And thus best we go there?

Suggestions?
08-28-2020, 02:19 AM,
RE: Vassal 3.3.2
(08-28-2020, 01:57 AM)cjsiam Wrote: So Peter if we are happy with the operation of 3.2.17, as it is now with Uber---

Is there a compelling reason to upgrade to the 3.3.2 version?
No technical reasons I know of at this time.  It will likely be more practical to use the newer version as time goes on.

(08-28-2020, 01:57 AM)cjsiam Wrote: Will support for the 3.2.17 version continue, or do you intend all future work will be 3.3.2? And thus best we go there?

Suggestions?
Development will almost certainly be with 3.3.2 after the December update. That will likely be Uber 2.7. I expect to be doing extensions in v3.2.17 until I can verify that the extensions will be backward compatible.

The most compelling argument for going to 3.3.2 is new player accessibility. Getting 3.2.17 requires going into the Vassal archive and finding the old versions. It isn't that hard, but is an annoying step.

I suggest finishing up your games in 3.2.17. Update after that.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking