Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Italian Tank Unit Size?
08-19-2020, 07:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-19-2020, 07:27 AM by Blackcloud6.)
Italian Tank Unit Size?
How many tanks are in the Italian tank units?

I ask this because in the Bir el Gubi scenario, Desert Rats #10, there are just five counters of M13/40 tanks.  But there were 146 M13/40s in the battle.  If there are 5 tanks per counter then this represents just 25 tanks.

Even the brits are low coming out, again 5 tanks per platoon with 85 crusaders and 10 Crusader CS tanks.  They had 158 tanks at the battle.  or I wonder if the scenario depicts just part of the fight?
08-19-2020, 08:00 AM,
RE: Italian Tank Unit Size?
I looks to me like the attack on the Italian right is being depicted. This where the main British attack fell. I base that on the 2nd Royal Gloucestershire Hussars and 4th County of London Yeomanry being the British units involved and the time of the scenario. The 3rd County of London Yeomanry was not engaged in this part of the fight.

The Italians appear not to have had a lot of tanks available in this area. The advanced guard in the scenario historically had 16 tanks and battery of 75mm guns (probably 75/27's). The initial skirmish at 07-0800. That may account for the advance guard having 2 units.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
08-19-2020, 11:29 AM,
RE: Italian Tank Unit Size?
(08-19-2020, 08:00 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: I looks to me like the attack on the Italian right is being depicted. This where the main British attack fell. I base that on the 2nd Royal Gloucestershire Hussars and 4th County of London Yeomanry being the British units involved and the time of the scenario. The 3rd County of London Yeomanry was not engaged in this part of the fight.

The Italians appear not to have had a lot of tanks available in this area. The advanced guard in the scenario historically had 16 tanks and battery of 75mm guns (probably 75/27's). The initial skirmish at 07-0800. That may account for the advance guard having 2 units.

Yes, this makes sense because it looks like the Bersaglieri group, that got caught going into position by the 2nd Royal Gloucestershire Hussars, are not on the map.  And that would be on the Italian left.