Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ancient Rules Ambiguity: When does "play" begin?
07-11-2020, 11:43 AM,
RE: Ancient Rules Ambiguity: When does "play" begin?
(07-11-2020, 10:35 AM)Schoenwulf Wrote:
Quote:In this case it is the Soviets, who begin on the board, who are attempting to evade the Germans who are entering. 
Then it definitely makes sense for the Germans to pick their position first so the Soviets know where to escape and evade.

Why do you assume the Soviets should know where to escape and evade /to and from? maybe part of the problem is they have
  to be able to succeed as best can, regardless....

I don't know the details about the scenario.
07-11-2020, 11:46 AM,
(07-11-2020, 12:29 AM)triangular_cube Wrote: Next up on my playthrough of the old stuff is Edelweiss # 11. At first glance set up seems to be important as it is a race off the map scenario. 

Soviet setup instructions are normal "set up within X hexes" type. 

Germans enter the board with a special rule that reads, " Escape and Evasion. Before play begins, the German player notes the edge (north , south, east, or west) from which each group will enter play... "

So the question becomes, when does "play" begin? Does play begin with turn 1, thus the German can see the Soviet setup prior to selecting the edges to enter from? Does "play" begin prior to setup, and thus they cant?

I'm leaning towards "play" beginning on turn 1, and allowing the Germans to see the Soviet setup prior to selecting the edge. 

Any one else have any thoughts?

Isn't the answer right in front of us? It says "the German player notes the edge".....notes are not public domain until potential end of game review...thus the Russians do not
know the German direction/edges....
?
07-16-2020, 04:14 AM,
I ended up playing with the information "hidden" for both players. In the end none of this really mattered. The main Soviet force is ski capable and can set up fairly close to the board edge. They pretty much can just walk off the board no matter what the Axis does to oppose it. Hopefully the rewrite for Edelweiss Expanded proves to be more interesting, as the concept behind the scenario is unique, albeit poorly executed.