Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Navies are like corporate lawyers
06-06-2020, 03:16 AM,
Navies are like corporate lawyers
You only need them, because other companies have them. So...
海軍に入隊する! あなたの後に来るアメリカ人を見てください!

Ever since the Guadalcanal Naval article in 2013, I thought other nations needed some ships too. In while building OOB support for Saipan and Marianas, I looked at the little land barges and the one gunboat and thought is was rather pitiful for such a naval power of the time. So I did what I always do.

These are a Nagara light cruiser, Katori light cruiser, Kagerō destroyer, Kamakaze destroyer and Fubuki destroyer. As well as the prior representation.
The ship names are from the Letye Gulf ships present in that battle. That means that they existed at the time of most PG scenarios, which involve the Japanese.
Juiceman likes this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
06-06-2020, 06:25 AM,
RE: Navies are like corporate lawyers
Very nice addition....thanks!
06-29-2020, 03:33 AM,
As one may imaging, I didn't think the U.S. Navy's projection of power was adequate for Saipan et al.

Notes:
  • The destroyers are given their class names. The names will be editable in the Vassal extension.
  • The LST image will be randomized in the Vassal extension, it might be changeable too.
  • The LCI can carry 3 units, but they must be foot personnel units or mortars smaller than 90mm. The troops run down the 2 side ramps, so big weapons are difficult to handle.
  • The LCT can carry 1 vehicle up to an armor value of 5(?). Heavier vehicles are transported as reduced counters.
  • The LCI® fires the 4.5" beach barrage rocket. The range was fixed at 1100 yards. Hence the boat's range is fixed at 8 hexes. (6 would have been more correct, but seemed a bit shout for the game.)
LSVs are in the works, but since the official LCI® is likely to be different (and I would say wrong), future proofing for Leyte is a futile effort. YP-17, with her 37mm pom-pom, is in the mix. I do hope add a cruiser to the USN force, I think something like a Burmingham would be nice,
Juiceman likes this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
12-18-2020, 01:06 PM,
(06-29-2020, 03:33 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: As one may imaging, I didn't think the U.S. Navy's projection of power was adequate for Saipan et al.

Notes:
  • The destroyers are given their class names. The names will be editable in the Vassal extension.
  • The LST image will be randomized in the Vassal extension, it might be changeable too.
  • The LCI can carry 3 units, but they must be foot personnel units or mortars smaller than 90mm. The troops run down the 2 side ramps, so big weapons are difficult to handle.
  • The LCT can carry 1 vehicle up to an armor value of 5(?). Heavier vehicles are transported as reduced counters.
  • The LCI® fires the 4.5" beach barrage rocket. The range was fixed at 1100 yards. Hence the boat's range is fixed at 8 hexes. (6 would have been more correct, but seemed a bit shout for the game.)
LSVs are in the works, but since the official LCI® is likely to be different (and I would say wrong), future proofing for Leyte is a futile effort. YP-17, with her 37mm pom-pom, is in the mix. I do hope add a cruiser to the USN force, I think something like a Burmingham would be nice,

Cool looking additions, makes me want to add to my collection of PG games in the Pacific.
"Don't let the dirt and rust hang you up, we like to give the impression that we are out of action badly in need of rest and reorganization"
12-19-2020, 12:35 AM,
All the ships can be made without shading, thus more normal counters. Name can be changed with any graphics editor, even MS-Paint.

The ships began with the Guadalcanal: Naval Power article and the landing craft in that game, then moved to the appearances in Saipan and Marianas. The counters appear in the naval OOB extensions for Vassal play. The names can be edited directly when used in Vassal. I hope to get British, Italian and German ships made to. I have visions of Malta, Seelowe, Norway, Crete, and so on. Other things have priority at the moment, but someday.