Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dragoon, Anvil and the Rhone Valley
05-26-2020, 12:37 AM,
Dragoon, Anvil and the Rhone Valley
(05-25-2020, 03:33 PM)Greyfox Wrote:      As for Operation Anvil/Dragoon - There are a number of great things about this campaign.... Just saying.

1) Troop list is varied -
     a) Germans - Some of really good (11th Panzer) and really bad formations (a number of ost battalionen)
     b) US Army - VI Corps (3rd ID, 36th ID, 45th ID)
     c) French Army - 1st Army - 11 total divisions including three armored divisions organized and equipped along U.S. Army lines.
     d) Unusual units
          1) 1st Special Service Force (Devils Brigade) a combined U.S. Canadian Force
          2) French Commandos
          3) French Maquis
          4) Jedburgh Commando's (OSS)
          5) ADHOC 1st Airborne Task Force - combined British/American Airborne Division which included a small Nisei Detachment.
          6) ADHOC Combat Command - U.S. Task Force Butler based on the 117th Mechanized Cavalry Squadron - a reconnaissance unit.

2)  Types of Missions
     a) Amphibious Landings
     b) Airborne Drops
     c) Exploitation/Pursuit (at the operational level)
     d) Seizure of Towns
     e) Escape (maintaining avenue of retreat) along one major route
     d) several pitched battles (Marseille, Toulon, and Montelimar)

3)     There are a number of good works that can be used to provide background on the campaign -- I own several of primary sources and unit histories in English (almost all American POV).

4)  A book size treatment might be good with the inclusion of some counters, but a specialty map or two might be good.  For some of the smaller fights I think several of the maps in the inventory would work.  The high ground and the rivers around Montelmar might require a special map.  I haven't really read up to much on the battles of Toulon or Marseille.  That seems like it would be an interesting research project.

Mike

Mike,
I moved the thread over here because we are not talking about Brazilians any more, and are kind of creating a new project.

Since you have access to the Vassal library, the experimental side of the project should be quite easy. The German and basic American OOBs are mostly done. The Free French should be quick, mostly British graphics, American combat factors and a new background. Special forces and commandos will be a little harder. Then, are there new maps?

I would start with the OOBs. Look in the extension documentation for the catalogs for the Americans and Germans. Make up lists for the French and whomever. Then think about maps to use or create. If you are thinking about a dead-tree game, Elsenborn is good place to start.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking